MY DUCK CAN'T STAND or WALK, HER LEGS SEEM TO CRUMPLE

There is a waterproof tape Nexcare www.nexcare.com I bought this tape which is self sticking the created a splint for the weak leg , i am using it with success, the bottom is made of styrofoam meat tray like you get when buying ground meat. I traced her foot shape so the nails can touch the ground. Then wrapped it like a shoe. Good luck! Is it swollen?

wee.gif

Hallelujah!

Some ducks are more sensitive to a lack of nutrients, so that may be contributing.

She may have a systemic infection, also, or a large parasite load.

You may be able to purchase a poultry vitamins and electrolyte mix, since even those who raise poultry and waterfowl for meat may create a demand for something like that at a feed store.

If you cannot get poultry vitamins, there is a product called poly-vi-sol which may be sold where you are. It is a multivitamin. You would need to calculate the proper concentration of vitamins (since ducks are so tiny), or you may be able to search the archives here for dosages.

If she has an infection, antibiotics may be needed. I have used Tylan (tylosin phosphate), which is dissolved in their drinking water. Eggs are not to be eaten during treatment or for ten days after, to be on the safe side.

For parasites, some use a natural method, combining diatomaceous earth (food grade) and garlic, but be careful as garlic - according to some sources - can be toxic to ducks. I feel that it may be dependent upon how much is ingested, but that is just my feeling, you need to sort this out. There are also de-wormers such as Ivermectin (stromectol), and again you may need to calculate a dosage that would be appropriate for a little duck.

Keep her warm, well-fed (better than well-fed, she needs high quality food right now), with loads of fresh water as you sort out the problem.

If she has peritonitis, it could be fatal, but please don't give up on her when there are so many options to try to help her.
I have a duck in similar circumstance. How often can I give her the poly vitamin ?

Thank you for the welcome and your advice which was so very welcome.

I was able to find poulty vitamins and the fantastic news this morning is that she is back on her feet - I think it must have been the parasites. She is a little weak but is still eating and drinking well. I will keep her separate from the others today so I can monitor her and will bring her in again tonight.

Once again, thank you.
Hey, I was wondering what kinda of vitamins you got because my duck is having the same exact problems.

Hi there i read the article about treatment for ducks not walking and mine cant so i tried ivermectin but it doesn’t seem to work she is walking a tiny bit better but still cant walk im not sure what it is

Back
Top Bottom