My duck eats every thing

jasonrobbins21

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
Hi I'm the proud dad of a 8 month old female I think pekin. Named sweetie I cat brought her home un harmed when she was I would say a week old or more and I tool her in and raised her well she's something else. Anyway this morning she was eating a lizard that either she or the cat killed and she likes to eat all the presents my cat bring home is that normal I figured they eat vegs

Ducks are omnivores, that's why when they are fed commercial vegetable-only matter food, they are often given cat food with meat matter in them, additionally.
In the wild, ducks eat weeds, algae, grass, clover, but particularly weeds and algae, bugs (protein), small fish, larvae, frogs, and even small lizards. Anything they can find, they will eat. And Muscovies will actually eat mice, as they are bigger and have longer claws.

I remember when I saw my chicken running around with a toad in her mouth. All the other chickens were chasing her for it, too. It was gross but I watched and she eventually downed it. So I think we forget and want the chickens and ducks to eat certain kinds of food but in reality, they eat a whole lot more than we give them credit for. (I even saw a Youtube video about someone who feeds beef to their chickens...it is meat giving protein, after all!)

My chickens are part-time cannibals! Whenever we have chicken or turkey for dinner any bones go to the birds. It makes sense, like purslanegarden said; "it is meat giving protein, after all!" I can't give poultry bones to the dogs and I certainly don't want it rotting in the garbage can stinking everything up!

Back
Top Bottom