My duck has frostbite!!

i have the same issue and but my muscovys foot seemed to have bled :( i just put her in a pen with her own heat lamp i am wondering if i should put anything on it. she is alone in the garage and she has lost lots of weight over the winter... i am debating on brining her in the house but i wouldnt be able to get her aclimated to the outside/coop weather afterwards... so id have to keep her in the basement until the end of march..i also have -30 to -40°C the past month!

Do you have Veterycin spray? You don't want to rub the skin if it's frost bite but you can spray the Veterycin and help it heal. Is she eating and drinking okay?
I don’t have any Veterycin. She is eating and drinking lots. It’s been a few weeks, and her feet are starting to look a bit better. Unfortanitly though she seems to be in pain if I touch her foot, and still can’t stand.

Are the pics you post right after you noticed her feet ? If so can you post pics of what they look like today ? You can get Veterycin at most feed stores and TSC also.

Last edited:
He foot looks like it’s had some trauma to it . I haven’t ever know frost bite to do that to a foot. I’d keep her in a small an area as possible so she isn’t using her foot so much right now and make sure the bedding she is on is soft as to not injure the frost bite any more than it is . Vitamins and electrolytes are fine for ducks just dose according to the package. Put her food and water close enough she doen’t Have to do a lot of walking right now. @casportpony maybe able to advise on possible a shoe to keep the foot from healing the wrong way. And keeping it flat. @Pyxis have you ever seen frostbite do this to a foot?
I do agree this has to be trauma of some sort. My friend has a duck that does this with her foot. Something got ahold of her through the fence in the pen, but she got away. She would walk on it backwards. I happened to be going to the vets that following day and ask the vet if it’s a possible broken foot. Vet said if she walking on it, and no bones are clearly broken it is probably a nerve issue... like a pinched nerve.

I think you might have a couple of things going on here...

Back
Top Bottom