My duck has frostbite!!

StephenieCarl

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2019
My Muscovy hen Daisy got frostbite on her feet/legs. She has been inside for the past few days. We give her daily baths with Epsom salt, lots of water and food and even some treats like green peas. Her one foot is flipped backward sometimes and she’s can’t walk. I’ve posted some photos of her bad foot. Both feet have frostbite, but the one she doesn’t put weight is really concerning. The weather here got down to a crazy -40 Celsius this past week, it’s been crazy! I purchased some stress aid to put in her water (vitamins and electrolytes) but after ready to package I was unsure if it’s safe for ducks. Has anyone had any experience with frostbite on ducks? Is her foot broken as well?

Attachments

• EC9D8636-45AE-468B-8CCD-AFA4AB87B57C.jpeg
    EC9D8636-45AE-468B-8CCD-AFA4AB87B57C.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 73
  • A7223396-17C9-4516-953D-A0717C56B156.jpeg
    A7223396-17C9-4516-953D-A0717C56B156.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 36BB012E-2AE1-41EF-A102-5523B578E72A.jpeg
    36BB012E-2AE1-41EF-A102-5523B578E72A.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 51
He foot looks like it’s had some trauma to it . I haven’t ever know frost bite to do that to a foot. I’d keep her in a small an area as possible so she isn’t using her foot so much right now and make sure the bedding she is on is soft as to not injure the frost bite any more than it is . Vitamins and electrolytes are fine for ducks just dose according to the package. Put her food and water close enough she doen’t Have to do a lot of walking right now. @casportpony maybe able to advise on possible a shoe to keep the foot from healing the wrong way. And keeping it flat. @Pyxis have you ever seen frostbite do this to a foot?

Last edited:
He foot looks like it’s had some trauma to it . I haven’t ever know frost bite to do that to a foot. I’d keep her in a small an area as possible so she isn’t using her foot so much right now and make sure the bedding she is on is soft as to not injure the frost bite any more than it is . Vitamins and electrolytes are fine for ducks just dose according to the package. Put her food and water close enough she doen’t Have to do a lot of walking right now. @casportpony maybe able to advise on possible a shoe to keep the foot from healing the wrong way. And keeping it flat. @Pyxis have you ever seen frostbite do this to a foot?

She’s in a small dog crate with foot and water close by. I think maybe she was injured from my male Muscovy or something and maybe that’s why she got frostbite? All of our other sucks are penned with her and they are showing no sign of frostbite. Right now I have her on puppy pads. I thought maybe the straw would poke her feet and bother it more.

I was reading where you posted and from the info I read it’s best not to put anything on the skin you don’t want to rub frost bit skin. Good the puppy pads are soft and won’t injure her more . Keep her quiet and hopefully with your TLC she’ll heal fine looks like it’s mainly the webbing? As for the foot hopefully someone with experience may be here soon. Is your Muscovy drake mating with his duck hens? Mine are all on hiatus over winter. Or how do you think her hurt her?

Back
Top Bottom