My duck hasn’t been walking

Toni20

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2021
Good morning, this thread seems to be so helpful so I thought I’d post for a bit of help. My duckling hatched on dec 2nd, first week went brilliant no problems at all. Thursday morning the duckling was fine, then in the afternoon it just stopped walking. I thought it could be a niacin deficiency or splayed leg as one leg was pointing out and I’ve gathered it could be a sign of both. I’ve taped the legs with plasters and been supplementing high doses of niacin daily, we seem to have got a little better however because one leg wasn’t being used at all, the “good leg” seems to have now got massive leaving behind the weaker leg. We have movement now but not as much as I’d expect there is still a lot of sitting down and one leg still very wobbly. Could anyone give me any help? What could it be? Is there anything else I could try? I’ll attach a picture to show too. I really am stuck now on how to help the duckling anymore, it is eating and drinking as normal it’s just the leg issue

Thank you,

Good morning, this thread seems to be so helpful so I thought I’d post for a bit of help. My duckling hatched on dec 2nd, first week went brilliant no problems at all. Thursday morning the duckling was fine, then in the afternoon it just stopped walking. I thought it could be a niacin deficiency or splayed leg as one leg was pointing out and I’ve gathered it could be a sign of both. I’ve taped the legs with plasters and been supplementing high doses of niacin daily, we seem to have got a little better however because one leg wasn’t being used at all, the “good leg” seems to have now got massive leaving behind the weaker leg. We have movement now but not as much as I’d expect there is still a lot of sitting down and one leg still very wobbly. Could anyone give me any help? What could it be? Is there anything else I could try? I’ll attach a picture to show too. I really am stuck now on how to help the duckling anymore, it is eating and drinking as normal it’s just the leg issue

Thank you,

Attachments

• 7855546A-C9A7-479B-9C8C-185250D78FDF.jpeg
    7855546A-C9A7-479B-9C8C-185250D78FDF.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 4
  • C1AB4BBE-E3C3-4926-A9F0-30C1D3BBDEC9.jpeg
    C1AB4BBE-E3C3-4926-A9F0-30C1D3BBDEC9.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 4
You might need to splint the weaker leg. Are you still treating with niacin? What type?
How would I splint it? I’ve been using sticky plasters to keep it in incase it was a splayed leg, ive also been using 100mg tablets crushed up in water, into a syringe about 1/4 tablet per day so around 25mg niacin. What I’ve been doing seems to have helped from last week but Its still not fixed, this is my first duckling (I’m hatching again in January as I only got one duckling this hatch 😞) so I’m new to it all but it’s stressful just not knowing how to help

When you say plasters do you mean you have hobbled her legs in the proper position?
Doesn't sound like you are in the USA? can you get Liquid B complex? Liquid B complex seems to help with leg issues better than just niacin by itself. you start with half a ml and by week two up the dose to 1 ml. You can put this over a tasty treat just use a little bit though so your duckling gets the full dose of Liquid B Complex.
:welcome

https://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited:
When you say plasters do you mean you have hobbled her legs in the proper position?
Doesn't sound like you are in the USA? can you get Liquid B complex? Liquid B complex seems to help with leg issues better than just niacin by itself. you start with half a ml and by week two up the dose to 1 ml. You can put this over a tasty treat just use a little bit though so your duckling gets the full dose of Liquid B Complex.
:welcome
No I’m in the U.K. 😂, plasters like a band aid. So yeah to pull the legs back in. The pad between the legs and the sticky strips attached on either leg. It seems to have pulled them back and along with the niacin it’s seeming to be working a bit, there’s just a hobble and tiredness easy. I will have a look and see if Amazon has the b complex instead of the tablets I’m crushing(pic added of the tablets)

Thank you!! 😁😁😁

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 4
Glad you are seeing improvement. If you can order from Amazon Look for Durvet Liquid B complex. I have ordered from them this brand.
Some years back a member was seeing lameness[weak legs] in some of her ducklings and being she is a scientist she decided to do research and found liquid b complex started giving it to her ducklings and it worked so well many of us have been using it ever since.
More good info from one of our members.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

How would I splint it? I’ve been using sticky plasters to keep it in incase it was a splayed leg, ive also been using 100mg tablets crushed up in water, into a syringe about 1/4 tablet per day so around 25mg niacin. What I’ve been doing seems to have helped from last week but Its still not fixed, this is my first duckling (I’m hatching again in January as I only got one duckling this hatch 😞) so I’m new to it all but it’s stressful just not knowing how to help
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...oe-Broken-Legs-Broken-Feet-4-sizes-p3387.aspx

Back
Top Bottom