My Duck Hatched A Chicken!!!

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
Hi Everyone! Well I just had to share my experience from this weekend!!

I was out and about yesterday cleaning up stuff in the yard and trying to get a little more organized for winter.
Well I was out by my chicken house and I kept hearing this high pitch "peep" "peep". I gotta be honest, i just thought it was one of my smaller chickens.. but after hearing this for about 20 minutes I decided I better just go in to check.

Well I know my chickens have been laying - but none would stay sitting on the eggs so i collect them regularly. BUT my one duck has been sitting for quite sometime.....

My ducks was up getting some food and water so i went over to the nest and a little yellow feathered head peeked up at me. I was shocked! I am assuming one of my chickens laid an egg in there while she was away from her nest of something.

It is my first chick that i had hatch for me.. So i am super excited! Even more excited that my duck hatched it. Can u believe that?

I know she has duck eggs under her... Anyone know how long it takes for ducks to hatch? I am going to give her another week on them and then I am going to put some more chicken eggs under her. I might even try some of my other ducks eggs.. they dont seem to be sitting on them often.

This might just work till i get an incubator!! LOL

I am going to leave the chick with her "mama" for now.. but I am in the process of setting up something for any new arrivals I may get. ( I dont wanna mamma teaching them how to swim..)

I was totally not expected this.. so now i have some fire lit under my butt to get this done!

Thanks for letting me share! I am will try to get pictures tomorrow night (when I am home) and then i will post them on Wednesday!

That's just too cool. I've read lots of stories of people using chickens to brood ducks, but not the other way around! I say if she's willing, then might as well make use of it.
smile.png

EDIT: Oops. I didn't see that you already mentioned this in your original post.

I know others will mention this as well but I wanted to say something before it is too late.

Remember... chicks can't swim. Momma Duck will try to take her new chick swimming before too long. You need to take the chick away from her.

Take care,

Tami

Last edited:
Congrats on your surprise chickie!
Duck eggs usually take 28 days, while Moscovies take about 35 days (and mixes fall somewhere in between). So another week should do it -let us know how it goes!

My duck hatched out two babies chicks back in the summer.. a broody duck is a great thing to have in my personal opinion.. and my Muscovy Lucy is more broody than my chickens.. shes sitting bantam eggs right now...

edited for pic...

duckschicks008.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there thats fantastic, i think!!! im just worried that the chick will need some food, so place some chick starter next to mumma duck with some water, so mumma duck can keep cooking her eggs while baby has some food. get some cooked egg yolk for them.
Then when the ducklings hatch you will need to change to game starter or turkey starter which is not so medicated.
Baby ducks cannot have chick starter.
Have fun keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom