My duck is limping what do i do?

cheyennelucille

Hatching
Apr 19, 2017
I noticed a limp in my baby pelkin duck a day or so ago. There seems to be no injury as i see. Vet appt will be made asap, but what could it possibly be? She/he wont put pressure on it, but it dont seem to be bothering him/her. Him/her is eating and drinking as regularly. Please help?? Thank you!

When you say you see no injury - are you going by sight alone, or have you picked the duckling up and carefully palated the entire foot/leg to feel for heat, sensitivity, swelling and/or deformity? Have you carefully moved the leg and foot to test range of motion and reaction to various motions? Did you visually check the bottom of the foot, extend and examine the webbing, etc? Is the duckling in a brooder and, if so, what is it constructed of? Are there other birds with the duckling and, if so, what are they?

I have two ducklings. They are no longer together, i separated them. And i cant tell, this is my first time owning ducks.

Both are pelkins, im pretty sure. I have two but they are seperated. And theyre not in a brooder. Theyre in a decent sized bin with a heat lamp above them.

From what I can see the foot has no visible injuries. My guess is that it is is a minor leg sprain, and if that is the case it should heal on its own. I have had many cases where different ducks and geese in my flock would start limping and have trouble putting pressure on their leg. After a few days, or within a couple weeks their injuries healed on their own. It could be more serious though so you should check to make sure it is not too inflamed and that their are no bones that appear out of proportion. I would keep an eye on her and if it gets worse then it could be more serious then a sprain.

Back
Top Bottom