1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck is limping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SandyandJeff, Apr 30, 2017.

1. SandyandJeff

SandyandJeff Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    Gardner, Kansas
    Last night I noticed one of my 2 month old ducks started limping. Not sure what could have happened but they were a little cramped in the container they are in. Today we put them all in a stock tank while we finish the run. Does anyone have any ideas why he may be limping?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be a pulled muscle or turned ankle, might be a sign of B vitamin - especially niacin - deficiency. Some ducklings just seem to need more.

I would take a close, gentle look. Sometimes there is a splinter, or a long human hair wrapped around the upper part of the leg.....

For niacin deficiency, plain (plain, not noflush or timedrelease) niacin, 150 mg per gallon of drinking water for a month or so helps them out. If it is a splinter, remove that and ruv triple antibiotic without pain reliever into the foot twice a day for a few days to prevent infection. No need to wrap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by