My duck isn't standing or walking?

momsbusybee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right way for some info
hmm.png

I'm so lost of what to do with one of our poor duck's over the Summer when we was getting hit with very high hot temps and my hubby found one of my ducks about life less he was like he was dying on me he wouldn't hold his head up and I keep pushing water down him so we have keep him in the house since and he got to the point of doing very well so since we have been having cool weather we started putting him outside for the day so today we was going to move him back outside well I went out to check on him and he is was just laying there scared and couldn't get up and walk on his own so I got him and moved him back in the house and he is in his bed and he still can't stand up and walk he done this last night and today he was fine...

And we can't move him in the same pin with his sisters because they are bigger then him and they just walk all over him because he gets to the point he can't walk or stand so looks like he will be our inside pet duck.

So does anyone may have a reason why he is doing this?

We have had ducks for years and he is our first one that has been like this,

It sounds as if he may have niacin deficiency. Type 'niacin deficiency ducks' in the search bar at the top of the page. Good luck at straightening out this situation.

This could be a severe case of niacin deficiency or duck botulism. I would look up duck botulism so you can see if he matches that more. Usually with niacin deficiency they can still walk but they are bull-legged, that's what I think he has botulism. Poor guy. Make sure you set him by food and put him in a pool a decent amount so he can drink. Hope he gets better

How is the little one? Did you find the information?
Sorry, I'm just now able to get back on here, he isn't doing to good he is now on day 2-of not able to walk or stand up at all we have been doing a lot of looking to see if we can find any info why he is being like this, other then not standing or walking he is just a happen little thing eating and drinking.

This could be a severe case of niacin deficiency or duck botulism. I would look up duck botulism so you can see if he matches that more. Usually with niacin deficiency they can still walk but they are bull-legged, that's what I think he has botulism. Poor guy. Make sure you set him by food and put him in a pool a decent amount so he can drink. Hope he gets better
He have him inside in his tub for his bedding with his water and food he is now on day 2 of not able to walk or stand and he just lays his legs all the way back behind him and I will fix them under him and he just puts them right back behind him like he is laying on his belly and he has been eating and drinking and very happy just can't walk or stand.

Start putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of food. Not baking yeast, not wine yeast, but brewer's yeast. If the floor is slippery put down an old towel.

Start putting a tablespoon of brewer's yeast per cup of food. Not baking yeast, not wine yeast, but brewer's yeast. If the floor is slippery put down an old towel.
Can I find that at Wal-mart?

We just can't get over how he is acting he is drinking and eating a lot and playing but can't stand or walk he just puts his legs behind him and lays like he is laying on his belly and we have been doing a lot of reading trying to see what we can do to help him.

Look up niacin deficiency and spraddle leg. Call the store and ask them - some carry it, some don't.
Okay thank you! We are leaning to that he is niacin deficiency, My hubby is stopping today to pick him up some stuff to put in his water so we are hoping this is the case..

Back
Top Bottom