My Duck Pond

Brilliant job...Wish I could have something like that...Renting a house has its downfalls..... guess i just have to keep draining the kiddy pool every day.....

I love the pond. I am trying to talk my mom into letting me get a couple ducks, and she always says, what are we gonna do for a pond. And now i know thanks to you. I'll show her this and hope for some ducks.
big_smile.png
Wish me luck
fl.gif

That looks fantastic!!! We have a 2 1/2 acre pond that our ducks free range on. However, I am going to be getting some more call ducks in a couple of months and don't want them to free range. Hubby has built a 10 x 10 area that we are going to house them in. I've had a liner since last summer and never did anything with it. He was describing this exact pond setup yesterday and I was thinking it was gonna look terrible. Thank you soooooo much for posting this!!! Cant' wait to show it to him. Looks like we have a project this weekend!!!

Five years later..... How is it holding up? Did you face any challenges?

I am thinking of doing the same thing - using cinder blocks instead of timbers for the edges. All advice is welcome!

Well, I finally got tired of emptying the baby pool every day (or should I say my back got tired of it), and decided to make something more permanent and easier for me. I have been looking at all the great duckponics threads, but decided that was a bit too involved for me right now; I just needed something easier to empty, clean and fill. I have no construction skills, and this was really easy to do.

So this is what I came up with, and so far, it's working great and the ducks love it! It cost about $150, and the most expensive thing was the pond liner.

I nestled it in between the pines so it would blend into the yard:
32762_pond_yard.jpg

I leveled the ground with paver sand, then built a frame with pressure-treated 8' landscape timbers. I left them 8' on the sides, and cut them in half for the ends. I stacked the timbers 4 high, securing them with stakes as I went. I used pressure-treated 1" x 6" to secure the ends. After the drain was installed and dry, I layed the liner, secured it with staples, then screwed another timber on top to hold it.
32762_pond_close.jpg

Before I secured the liner to the frame, I attached a pvc drain to the liner by cutting a small hole in the liner, stretching it over the drain, then gluing it with plumbers glue, securing it between the drain base, and the metal cover. I used pvc glue to attach the drain pipe. I let it dry overnight before securing the liner. Then I caulked the entire edge of the drain, and let it dry. (The small brass pipe on the left above the drain is an hose pipe I installed to water my garden).
32762_drain_closeup.jpg

The pipe coming out of the bottom of the pond. The pipe is 3" diameter, so drains the entire pond in about 15 minutes. It takes about 20-30 minutes to refill, and I just used a long-handled brush to scrub it as it's draining.
32762_pond_drain.jpg

From the side - you can see where I dug a shallow trench so the pipe would be below the pond. I also angled everything slightly downward:
32762_drain_pipe.jpg

Another view - I also put a smaller drain on the side of the liner with a hose attached (the green one), so I could also run the hose to my garden to make use of the nutrient-rich pond water ( just knotched the timbers to accomodate the hose):
32762_drain_pipe.jpg

I put down some gravel when the pipe ends to help the flow of water when it drains:
32762_pond_gravel.jpg

Steps for the ducks:
32762_pond_steps.jpg

Voila - duck pond! I put the ramp in temporarily for the younger ducks, but they all love to run up it and jump in, so I may leave it:
32762_pond_ramp2.jpg

They love it, and I have to usher them out in the evening to go to bed
smile.png

32762_pond.jpg

Hi, Looks great! How did you attach your wood tiles together to give them the inside water weight strength? You said you staked them - how? Did you drill a hole threw them and then secure them to the ground with a rod/rebar threw the hole? I'm trying to plan one similar to yours and have some experience with wood tiles, but not layering them like this. They are quite thick so I am just trying to figure out what you mean by staking them. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom