My duck was attacked by a dog

duckies315

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2015
Yesterday my pekin duck was attacked by a dog. She had a wound on the back of her neck and a big one above her tail. I pulled out feather that were in and around the wound and cleaned it out with an epsion salt wash. Once she stopped bleeding i cleaned the wounds with hydrogen poroxide patted them dry and sprayed wound kote on them and i also got her some electrolytes for her water

She jus started drinking a lil bit tonight. I gave her another ES wash down and more wound kote. Im not sure how much i like the wound kote. Everything is purple now and i cant see how the wounds are doing. Should i give her some asprin or antibiotics? I seen some at tractor supply when i got the wound kote? Is there anything else i can do for her?

We have two bathrooms so she has taken up residencey in one of the tubs

Hi there,
If she's not going to be with others that will 'pick' at her, you can leave the Blukote off. You doing good so far, wash wound 2x day with a gentle soap & water. Not sure on aspirin & ducks - sorry! Antibiotics - personally, I would wait and see. Usually, once the wound is clean, animals heal fast. If the wound starts to look icky, any discharge, foul smell definitely - antibiotics.
Lots of higher protein food for a while, help the healing process, water, electrolytes etc.
Keep us posted on her progress,
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry for your poor duck! I've never raised ducks (just chickens) but it sounds like you are doing ok and the advice from boskelli1571 makes sense (that's what I would do with my chickens in the same situation). I hope she makes a full recovery soon.

So far she looks to be doing good for a wounded duck. She got some good quacks out and gave me an im annoyed with you peck when i tried looking her over, which is great compared to yesterday because she didnt do anything then. Even tho its making it difficult to give her a look over :).

Should i use a wash cloth to wipe on her wounds or a syring? I dont want to cause her anymore pain than i have to. I did all the plucking and scrubbing right after it happen to get the worst part over with for her but not sure i should just rinse her now with soap or hydrogen poroxide

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Good luck with your duck! It sounds like the keeping the wound clean and making sure she continues to eat and drink are going to be key.

Hydrogen peroxide can also burn healthy tissue. It's better to flush a wound with saline solution, and use Neosporin (NO CAIN) formula. If she is away from the flock she doesn't need blukote. Mainly keep check for any signs of infection and no one allow her out where flies can lay eggs in her wound. The resulting maggots will cause much worse damage than the initial wound.

Glad she is up and being feisty. She may have been in shock after the attack. Birds usually are so they don't feel the pain of being eaten alive.

She was preening herself this morning :). I was very happy tonsee that because of her neck wound i didint know how much she was moving it. Ive been holding an food and water cup up to her every hr or so just in case.

I did found a deeper cut on her neck than what i first remember when i first was cleaning her. I filled it with neosporin and smeared some on the rest of her neck and back wound. The wound kote is starting to fade now. She is the only one in there so i stopped putting it on. Is there a spray like neosporin? I used almost a whole tube just on that one setting.

Ither than that shes eating and drinking a bit for me, pecking and quacking so thats a plus. Thank you everyone for your help.

I hadnt realized this was a new member introduction so i should tell you a little more

I have two pekin ducks that are 6 months old their names are bonnie and clyde. They love when i turn the hose on and make a big muddy mess in the yard so they can root around. They also lo e their pond but they are very picky with their pond water i have to make sure it gets empty and cleaned at least once a week or they complain. I guess i have them pretty spoiled.

We dont have a vet in my area that would look at bonnie for me after the dog attacked her some even laughed at me but i was happy to find your guyes site and im hopping i can get her thru this.

Back
Top Bottom