My duck was attacked HELP!!

TMMchickens

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Please help! Any thing on how to help him would be great! I'm out of town trying to tell my dad how to help him. I have no idea what did it and how to help him. I know the pictures arnt very helpful.
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg

I would be wanting to check for any open wounds and move the duck into a quite spot to de-stress. Any open cuts, I would be off to the Vets.
Would make sure it had plenty of drinking water in the cage and let it chill out, if its just been plucked.
good luck :(

Hi @TMMchickens Hi Welcome To BYC :frow

Sorry to hear about your duck.

@Amiga is much more knowledgeable about ducks, but I will give it a try:)

Wash the wound with soapy water or flush with saline. Getting the wound flushed will be helpful. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment (like plain Neosporin) or Vetericyn. If there are feathers getting into the wound, you can trim those off a bit.

I see by the photos you have him(?) separated, that is good. The biggest concern would be keeping flies out of the wound so they don't lay eggs. I'm not sure if Swat can be used on ducks , but on chickens it can be applied on the outer edges of a wound to help keep flies out. But you still need to be vigilant so they don't lay eggs in the wound. Personally I would not cover a wound like that with anything like a bandage, but others may have better suggestions.

Provide plenty of water - add some vitamins if you have them - keeping hydrated after an attack is important. Make his normal food available.

Hope all goes well, keep us posted.

I would be wanting to check for any open wounds and move the duck into a quite spot to de-stress. Any open cuts, I would be off to the Vets.
Would make sure it had plenty of drinking water in the cage and let it chill out, if its just been plucked.
good luck :(
Thank you.

Hi @TMMchickens Hi Welcome To BYC :frow

Sorry to hear about your duck.

@Amiga is much more knowledgeable about ducks, but I will give it a try:)

Wash the wound with soapy water or flush with saline. Getting the wound flushed will be helpful. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment (like plain Neosporin) or Vetericyn. If there are feathers getting into the wound, you can trim those off a bit.

I see by the photos you have him(?) separated, that is good. The biggest concern would be keeping flies out of the wound so they don't lay eggs. I'm not sure if Swat can be used on ducks , but on chickens it can be applied on the outer edges of a wound to help keep flies out. But you still need to be vigilant so they don't lay eggs in the wound. Personally I would not cover a wound like that with anything like a bandage, but others may have better suggestions.

Provide plenty of water - add some vitamins if you have them - keeping hydrated after an attack is important. Make his normal food available.

Hope all goes well, keep us posted.
Oh my thank you! I will do my best to do as you said! It means so much to have people who can help when I'm at a loss. Thank you.

How long should I wait before I cover it? Or apply a bandage ? I don't want to at this moment becuse he won't even move his neck to drink or eat and also because I was told not to right now but was wondering how long would be to long to wait?

Everyone does things differently. Personally I would not bandage at any time. I would just make sure the wound is kept clean and ointment is applied a couple of times a day. Let the ointment be the "barrier".

If he is having a hard time eating/drinking - try to make the water as available as possible - move it higher, etc. where he can reach it without having to move his neck lower.

Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom