My Duck was attacked, need help with wound!

AshleyNicole06

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 19, 2017
Iowa
Okay so my duck was attacked yesterday. I tried cleaning the area and spraying vetericyn.
I got him to drink this morning and when he went to blow water out of his nostrils there were little maggot looking things SUPER SMALL!
not sure what to do.
Can I give him a bath? Get it cleaned up better.
Not really doing much today either.
The picture is from this morning

Attachments

• 20200811_082718.jpg
    20200811_082718.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 72
Do you know what attacked your duck? Do you have a photo of the wound and can you detect bite marks, blood, etc? Is your duck eating or drinking?

Wha apart of the picture is the bugs? Could you clip the feathers back around the wound so its clean. Take a pic of the wound after this. Then flush it with Vetrycin and warm water in a spray bottle, and clean it out. After that, put Vetrycin on the wound, cover with gause, and wrap his head with vet wrap. send up a pic of the open wound.

Examine his whole body for any sign of injuries/bruising, and if you see something, trim the feathers around the area and post a picture for us. For basic wound care, go ahead and trim the feathers around the area, lavage the wound with either saline, diluted betadine, or chlorhexidine. You can lavage using a dish soap bottle or a large syringe.

After the wound has been lavaged, you could apply a generous coating of a triple antibotic ointment like Neosporin or Prep H to the wound.

I personally avoid bandages, they can cause irritation to the wound, cause edema, create a home for flies to lay their eggs, and if applied improperly can decrease oxygen flow to the wound, which can ultimately affect the overall growth of fibroblasts, which are cells that play a crucial role in wound healing.

This duck needs to be inside, in a warm, quiet, stressful free area with feed and water provided. Keeping him outside is a big no-no.

I can tell you with great confidence that if you don't take action soon this duck is going to pass.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so what, and how many?

Could you open his mouth, and look for anything abnormal?

Examine his whole body for any sign of injuries/bruising, and if you see something, trim the feathers around the area and post a picture for us. For basic wound care, go ahead and trim the feathers around the area, lavage the wound with either saline, diluted betadine, or chlorhexidine. You can lavage using a dish soap bottle or a large syringe.

After the wound has been lavaged, you could apply a generous coating of a triple antibotic ointment like Neosporin or Prep H to the wound.

I personally avoid bandages, they can cause irritation to the wound, cause edema, create a home for flies to lay their eggs, and if applied improperly can decrease oxygen flow to the wound, which can ultimately affect the overall growth of fibroblasts, which are cells that play a crucial role in wound healing.

This duck needs to be inside, in a warm, quiet, stressful free area with feed and water provided. Keeping him outside is a big no-no.

I can tell you with great confidence that if you don't take action soon this duck is going to pass.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so what, and how many?

Could you open his mouth, and look for anything abnormal?
He seems a bit better tonight. Hes even drinking. I have him in the garage in a kennel by himself. I did open his mouth and didnt see anything. I do not have any antibiotics.
I sprayed vetericyn.
20200811_211756.jpg

Wha apart of the picture is the bugs? Could you clip the feathers back around the wound so its clean. Take a pic of the wound after this. Then flush it with Vetrycin and warm water in a spray bottle, and clean it out. After that, put Vetrycin on the wound, cover with gause, and wrap his head with vet wrap. send up a pic of the open wound.
They are on his bill

Back
Top Bottom