My duck was badly bitten by our dog! What can I do?

Brittany, I am so sorry for your loss. That is so very sad.

Amykins, she said they were going to keep a better eye on the dog. Accidents happen and dogs are just that, dogs. I think I read that you are afraid of dogs, and that is too bad. But many of us love our dogs and ducks and don't blame and animal for being an animal. The tone of your post made it sound as if you think she should dispose of the dog. That's not fair imo.

Wow...that's rather jump-to-conclusions-y of you. I only asked a question, since it's a horrifying occurrence for any pet owner to go through, and I know how tough it can be to come to a suitable solution that keeps everyone happy.

My own thoughts are that she should keep the dog indoors while she's with the ducks, and only let the dog out when the ducks are penned. My mom owns a terrier, he killed one cat, and constantly tries to go after the other. So she just keeps a baby gate up so that the dog can't enter whichever part of the house she keeps the cat in. She thinks it's too risky to just try to keep an eye on it when she's going about her day, because...well, terriers.

When you do what I do you see a lot of injured animals, and it's disheartening to see how many of them were hurt by a fellow furry family member. But that's how it goes, once any domestic carnivore shows that it's capable of killing it's extremely difficult to train them out of it, and that goes for dogs, cats, ferrets, heck even cows. Yes, cows. Don't ask, we had a bad time with a holstein once. *facepalm*

So, now that this thread's been thoroughly derailed, I'd like to get back to what's important here, and that's Brittany. Brittany, are you ok? You've gone quiet, I hope everything is doing better over on your end. :/

Last edited:
Oh I am so so sorry!
Unfortunately, its just their nature and I agree, it would be unfair to dispose of the dog.
Our dog chases the ducks so we have had to keep them in their enclosure and lock the dog in the house when we free range.
I hope your duck recovers!

Back
Top Bottom