My Duck Won't Eat!

DuckieLover8

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Hello fellow poultry lovers! I have a welsh harlequin duck that is about 1 1/2 years old. I had two, but they were attacked by a raccoon a few nights ago. The duck I still have is not injured internally, and her outer wounds will heal up- if she starts eating. I've tried her favorite snack, (peas) and her regular food, but I can't get her to eat. Do you have any ideas? She is a family pet and we have tried everything. I thought of using baby food, but I didn't know what kind would work. Thanks for your help!
smile.png

P.S. She has a fractured beak. (only the top half is hurt though.)

@DuckieLover8

Could be the painful bill injury, could be the trauma.

If you can get a vet's help with a prescription for anti-inflammatory that may help.

Is she in the same environment of the attack? Sometimes that can be really disturbing to them. She needs to feel safe.

And she's likely very lonely. An unbreakable mirror may help for now. Keeping her company as much as possible will probably help, too.

You may need to syringe or tube feed her. @casportpony has published some tips on that. And Majestic Waterfowl has published a video on tube feeding a goose - same principle.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

https://www.facebook.com/MajesticWa...0836389340489/824960470928077/?type=2&theater

Last edited:
She is already on medication from the vet, and she has been moved to a new area since the attack. She is in a safe and comfortable location. I have been spending lots of time with her in the early morning and afternoon times, and I have seen her preen herself carefully with her beak. If she can use it for that, I don't think that it could be as bad as when the injury first occurred, but I could be wrong. She clearly misses her "sister", but I'm not sure that's the problem either. That seems like the best reason so far though. I was going to try baby food (veggies, and turkey and rice for extra protein) Would that be a good idea?
Also, she is no longer laying eggs. She probably won't for a while. All that matters right now is that I can get her to eat, so thank you very much for your help. I'm sure little Quacks appreciates it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom