My duckling is always hungry!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RainsFall, May 17, 2019.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Do you have some sort of heat for him too? Sometimes ducklings make a lot of noise if they are too cold too.

2. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Yes he can have chicken but he is going to need niacin. Specially being Pekin, try peas mixed in with his meals. Plus if you do tuna or fish based stuff has natural niacin in it as well. Duckies usually love peas and they have lots of niacin.

3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    What country are you in? There are members from all over the world here and maybe we can find someone in your country to give you food ideas.

4. RainsFall

RainsFall In the Brooder

May 17, 2019
    Im from Iran (Persia)
    in my country keeping ducks
    as a home pet is not common.i can't even find niacin(B3) supplement, looks like it doesn't exist in here (third world problems)
    I would appreciate if someone is from Iran and guides me

My duckling seems to be ok and well with new diet (chicken meat+egg+carrot+cucumbers)

thanks to everyone

Attached Files:

5. PaulX

PaulX Songster

Nov 15, 2018
    I'm not in Iran but also in where ducks are also not keep as pets.

I can still find vitamin B complex pills for humans at some drugstores, but what I used to use is nutritional yeast flakes (sold in only the most upscale mall in town) imported from the US. I bought human grade brewer's yeast before, but found the niacin content to be too low for the price, plus it's bitter so it's more difficult to get the ducks to eat it.

That being said, you might not need supplement after all. My previous 2 clutches of ducklings never needed supplement. I'd wait until I see a problem to start supplementing extra niacin.

Chicken meat is totally fine. It's one of the food with the highest niacin content actually, the chicken breast. I feed my ducks the cooked breast meat too, as a treat. I used to give them some eggs but upon 6 weeks old or so I stopped because I didn't want them to get used to the taste of eggs.

If you have duck feed or poultry feed, do give them that. If they're stubborn and don't eat just starve them. They won't let themselves starve to death I'm sure.

6. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Your duckling is adorable!

7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I haven't seen a member from Iran yet but that doesn't mean there aren't any. One the other day was from Turkey but that isn't exactly very near you. I will tag some members who've been here a long time to see if they know of anyone! :fl @Miss Lydia, @Pyxis
    @casportpony @WannaBeHillBilly @Texas Kiki

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  9. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    @Aliamelody is from Iran, but she has been silent for several months now… :(

RainsFall, Texas Kiki and quackiemama like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    @Aliamiri is in Iran too.
    Posted yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: