Ado457782

Hatching
Apr 16, 2021
Hi very new to this website and fowl in general although I have relied on existing threats upon many occasions for insight I am in need of direct assistance now. Ive been raising a Cayuga duckling for the last 3 weeks and about a week or two ago she developed a respiratory issue that seemed to steadily get worse and I assumed it was microbial, I took her to the vet and was prescribed an anti biotic (Trimethoprim Sulfa48) and she was given fluids through an IV I’ve had her on the medication for the last 3 days and while at first she seemed to improve within the last day she suddenly seemed dramatically weaker and more lethargic to the point where 10 minutes before me writing this she was walking and couldn’t stop falling backwards on her butt but could immediately right herself it just kept happening. After a couple more minutes of walking she stopped falling but her legs seemed strained and wobbly a sharp contrast to how she usually runs about. They did blood work on her when I went and her calcium levels were fine, fecal examination seemed fine too despite almost constant diarrhea. She still has an almost mucussy pop when she breaths that I can hear through her nose and it does get intense sometimes through the night where it seems like she’s really struggling to breath but the coughing seems to have died down since medicating. I’m unsure what to do at this point. I’ve considered supplementing her with vitamins because she’s pretty much only had her starter crumble. Or perhaps niacin although I don’t know how to give her that. I’ve considered getting crickets at pet smart or something but I’m afraid of it being unsafe and insight would be great.

Hi very new to this website and fowl in general although I have relied on existing threats upon many occasions for insight I am in need of direct assistance now. Ive been raising a Cayuga duckling for the last 3 weeks and about a week or two ago she developed a respiratory issue that seemed to steadily get worse and I assumed it was microbial, I took her to the vet and was prescribed an anti biotic (Trimethoprim Sulfa48) and she was given fluids through an IV I’ve had her on the medication for the last 3 days and while at first she seemed to improve within the last day she suddenly seemed dramatically weaker and more lethargic to the point where 10 minutes before me writing this she was walking and couldn’t stop falling backwards on her butt but could immediately right herself it just kept happening. After a couple more minutes of walking she stopped falling but her legs seemed strained and wobbly a sharp contrast to how she usually runs about. They did blood work on her when I went and her calcium levels were fine, fecal examination seemed fine too despite almost constant diarrhea. She still has an almost mucussy pop when she breaths that I can hear through her nose and it does get intense sometimes through the night where it seems like she’s really struggling to breath but the coughing seems to have died down since medicating. I’m unsure what to do at this point. I’ve considered supplementing her with vitamins because she’s pretty much only had her starter crumble. Or perhaps niacin although I don’t know how to give her that. I’ve considered getting crickets at pet smart or something but I’m afraid of it being unsafe and insight would be great.
I should also add that any insight as to wether or not certain supplements could interact or impair with the prescribed drugs in any way would be appreciated. I can also send pictures of her at another time because she’s sleeping right now and I want her to get some rest. But I’ve provided pictures of her from about a week ago.

Attachments

• 25CA7CCA-CFAF-42D8-AE57-A4EA9C97D66B.jpeg
    25CA7CCA-CFAF-42D8-AE57-A4EA9C97D66B.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1C15AD66-2E7B-4E7E-BCB1-8149113CAB34.jpeg
    1C15AD66-2E7B-4E7E-BCB1-8149113CAB34.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 82ABC4DB-949A-4E62-ACA7-BCB6E588A4F2.jpeg
    82ABC4DB-949A-4E62-ACA7-BCB6E588A4F2.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom