My duckling was attacked by an owl

Tcarp176

Hatching
Oct 17, 2023
Hi guys! It’s almost 1 in the morning right now. My duckling Opal got attacked by an owl tonight. It lured her over to the edge of the enclosure and got her that way. I’m not entirely sure what happened but I think the owl bit her and also grabbed her and was trying to fly away with her(which the owl can’t do since she was on the other side of the cage) it’s a stupid stupid owl. Luckily the other 3 are okay and we have them in the basement for the night. Anyway Opal has some wounds in her. Mostly like gauge marks. One on her neck which is the worst one. I don’t have any pictures right now. She’s alive I don’t know if she’s going g to make it. I don’t know what to do. She has her head weird so we thought a broken neck but she can move it mostly. So I just really need help please.
I’m editing this. I forgot to add she’s about 3 weeks old give or take if remember correctly. She’s in a lot of pain. We sprayed some hem healer stuff on it to clean it and separated her from her other 3 siblings. The older 4 we have are also okay. Poor girl is the only one that got hurt.
Update:Opal succumbed to her injuries at around 6:30 tonight. We think her spinal cord got jacked up in the scuffle. She is now resting easy no longer in pain.

Last edited:
O no! I'm so sorry this happend to your duckling. When separate them I would make sure the wound is clean, apply iodine and try to put bandage around it then see if another duckling can be near to her. Because separating a duckling to be alone is stressful for a duck. keep her warm/dry and comfortable. Be sure you only do this after putting on a bandage as other ducklings will try to peck at wounds.

Ducklings are resilient! don't give up to easily!

Back
Top Bottom