MY DUCKLINGS ARE FOAMING AT THE MOUTH AND IM SCARED

I'm sure this has been and continues to be very scary. I'm sorry. Hopefully all will be fine. How old are these ducklings? What kind of feed are they eating? Did anyone pick them up/handle the ducklings recently?
The ducklings are about 2 weeks old. They where eating a starter feed. And they where picked up recently.

The ducklings are about 2 weeks old. They where eating a starter feed. And they where picked up recently.
Is their feed a crumble type feed? If they're picked up while or shortly after they're eating and/or drinking, this can happen due to their digestive system. This probably scared them and maybe what's behind this. I would definitely keep an eye on them and if the one is still having problems after they've had time to settle down, then start looking at other issues. Do they have access to water deep enough to dunk their head and clean out their nares?

Is their feed a crumble type feed? If they're picked up while or shortly after they're eating and/or drinking, this can happen due to their digestive system. This probably scared them and maybe what's behind this. I would definitely keep an eye on them and if the one is still having problems after they've had time to settle down, then start looking at other issues. Do they have access to water deep enough to dunk their head and clean out their nares?
Yes, they both are falling asleep and they both seem ok. Are there any specific problems I should look out for?

How much NIACIN are they getting????
(not because of the foaming of the mouth - because of the mention of feet turning inwards, wobbly, head held close to body)

and are you seeing any twisting of the neck??? (as if they are holding their head crooked/off to one side)
The duckling seems to look normal now but I didn’t see the head crooked

The duckling seems to look normal now but I didn’t see the head crooked
that's good, is walking back to normal?
Usually walking issues are associated with niacin, a deficiency in niacin can cause some walking issues. Symptoms can include; loss of appetite, lying down frequently, loss of energy, shaky legs, pigeon toed feet (facing inwards), difficulty walking, heat or swelling on leg joints. It can usually be easily remedied by supplementing niacin- using nutritious yeast (1 tbsp to 1 cup of food), or for more severe cases: durvet cattle injectable B complex (available at TSC, given 1ml daily orally over a treat), or through niacin capsules (100mg emptied into a gallon of water).

I'm sure your babies are just fine, perhaps they ate a little too fast, it happens sometimes. Just keep an eye on the one's walking, watch out for signs of a deficiency just in case.

Back
Top Bottom