My ducklings think I ate their friends

Mish

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Macomb, MI
Received 14 ducklings from Holderread last Wednesday.
50421_p5190008.jpg

One person who split the order picked up 9 on Friday... so 5 left
50421_p5230018.jpg

Another person picked up 3 on Sunday... so 2 left
50421_p5240033.jpg

They are terrified of me now.
hit.gif
. They run to the corner and shake when they see me. It is only since the other 3 went to their home, so it seems they think I eat ducklings. I'm trying to move slow and stay lower to not be as intimidating when I clean them / change the water and food. Are there any special treats I can give them at 1 week old so they forget they hate me? Any other suggestions?

They don't "hate you". You've taken away their flock security. The larger the flock the greater their sense of security. There's the solution. You must get more ducks.

Quote:
Sourland, I like that idea too much. If either of the other people had waited longer to pick them up.... I would have 14 ducks that I would refuse to give up. I keep telling myself that 2 are easier to clean and feed and take to the boat for long weekends.

I will give them peas every day until I am their flock or I am cleaning up too much green. Starting tomorrow because I don't have peas.

Wow your brooder looks way to clean in all those pictures lol. Cute ducks, the way to their heart is through thier stomachs. Don't worry if they run now. I found that mine kind of mellowed some as they got older.

3 weeks ago I got a single runner duckling.
3 hours drive home and she wouldn't come anywhere near my hand and shook in the corner of the box.
Got her home into a purpose made straw filled home.
She was still terrified of me.
Thought she might be hungry and thirsty so provided her with food from my hand and water from a cup that I held.
Within 5mins she was peeping happily and I was her new best friend.

I work from home and today is cold, so she's sat at my feet in a fluffy dog basket while I work on the computer and loves being stroked and her beak played with every now and again.

Feeding from the hand is always a winner when it comes to befriending any animals.

woka

Mine always get really upset when they go from a bunch of babies to only a few. It's scary for them--they think there's a big bad predator out there picking off their siblings, and they're terrified that they're next.

They'll calm down when they figure out that no one else is disappearing.

And yes, also, they feel more secure in a larger group. But they'll be won over with treats, no worries.
smile.png

Quote:
And the BYC tradition of enabling continues! (Don't tell your current babies that ducklings are tasty when roasted.)

Back
Top Bottom