My ducks are getting afraid of me? :(

kikidee

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
San Clemente
My two male cayuga ducklings are 12 days old and ever since the second week started they have been following me less and seem kinda scared of me. They used to come up to me more. They still will follow me for the most part mostly outside and sometimes they jump on me and sleep on me. Will they get over it? I have only heard feint rumors of a weird stage they go through that they get scared..

They will come to me to get treats and are pretty good. Is this just a phase or will they gradually avoid me more and more?
sad.png
they seem so young to be growing apart from me.

I had a Pekin drake who was absolutely terrified of me until he grew his proper feathers. Then he seemed to gain more confidence in general and with the help of lettuce and corn kernels I won him over (yum yum). Don't panic, I'm pretty sure it will be like a 'teenage' phase.
wink.png

Some of my groups will go through a stage like that. I will sometimes have a hatch that are just nice all the way through and only decide that I am no longer needed as " mom" once they go outside to live with the flock. A few things I do to make sure they dont get frightened when I approach them in the brooder is to get down low as I approach. Seeing something so tall suddenly appear over the brooder will make the instincts kick in and they will see you as a possible predator or threat. I talk to them as well so they know I am coming. When outside- I dont chase them I always let them come to me. Food and treats will bring them close enough for me to pick up when its time to go back inside if they wont follow me.

Yeah I always voice when I approach and they start peeping so they can get let out for their daily walk and swim. I don't have a flock im only keeping two. Also I get lower and whenever we are outside they will hide under me and nibble on my clothing and then take a break and go looking for food in grass and pretty much anywhere. I quess they are fine but I wonder if they are just getting more and more un-attached or if its just a phase.

It's a phase! I just went through something similiar with mine. Just keep working with them and don't get disheartened; you can easily bring them back around.

One note: it's not a thing that will always get steadily better. They might seem to be making some progress, and then the next morning, are more terrified than ever of you. And then the morning after that, they might love you again. LOL Who knows what goes through their little brains!

Back
Top Bottom