my ducks are laying on their back!!!

olivetree

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
i have found my pekin and khaki ducklings laying on their backs. they seem fine at first but then start to freak out and can’t get back up. i don’t know how long they are like that, until i find them there. someone please tell me what’s going on. i am worried

:welcome

Sometimes that will happen with ducklings, providing nice rough bedding so they can't slip helps, as well as making sure there isn't any indentations in the bedding where they might fall and not be able to get back up. What kind of bedding are you using?

i use shaved wood chips. the area doesnt seem slippery. i also change the bedding quite often. i have my chickens and ducks together and i haven’t had a problem with the chicks slipping. i have mats under the bedding and it doesn’t seem slippery. they aren’t so little anymore. they are getting pretty big.

i will try to take a video next time i see it. i don’t see them fall on their backs or haven’t yet, i just find them on their backs. so where i have my little babies is in an area where i can see them through a big window in my room. so it’s happened a few times where i look out the window and they are just chilling on their backs. it’s not till i go out there, that they are freaking out. mostly because i walk out there and they get excited. but the thing is, i don’t know how long they are like that or why they do that. they seem alright when i pick them up. i just don’t know if something is wrong with them.

right now i am feeding them organic chick starter with putting in brewers yeast and apple cider vinegar. none of the stores had duck starter and they really only ate the chick starter anyways. i have 11 chicks and 3 ducks together. my pekin’s legs were bowed when i got her. they seem to be getting better everyday once i added brewers yeast. also my pekin doesn’t like to swim that much. she kinda freaks out in the water.

Back
Top Bottom