My ducks are skittish

chilly

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
England
we have had our 2 campbells and 1 aylesbury for nearly 2 weeks now but they are still really skittish!

they are still in a box in the house at the moment (darn British summer)

when ever i put my hand in the box they go crazy, i was expecting them to know me by now.

we have given them treats by hand and they take it but they are still very unsure.

they seem really frightened of us still, will this improve or is it just the way they are??

if you bought your ducklings, they usually are skittish when you first get them, and still continue to be so. but by hatching your own eggs, they usually see you as mom and follow you around.
theres really no way around it, but keep working on it. the more you spend time with them and socialize with them, the better. give them lots of treats. try sitting down in the grass somewhere safe and let the ducklings sit on you, or hold them. it should get better. good luck

Keep petting them everyday. Keep feeding them treats. Be gentle and move slowly around them. They will get better. If you hatch your own they are much friendlier from the start.

My campbells were/are skittish and wary of people as well. When they were ducklings, they would scream bloody murder whenever we picked them up. They don't seem to be lap ducks, but when they get older they tolerate you a lot more. I can sit near ours and they will come up to me expecting treats and whatnot, but they still do not enjoy being handled at all.

I hope they do improve because they are beautiful creatures.
They really don't like to be parted, if we pick them out one at a time to put them in the bath or in the garden, they all scream until they are back together again.

Mine are over 3 months old, and were handled every day as babies. They never did really like to be held, but would tolerate it, and it took several weeks before they did not act like I was going to eat them every time I put my hand in their pen.

They now follow me around the yard, will come when I call, and eat out of my hand. I still have to corner them to pick them up, but they do not struggle if I do so.

I don't think most ducks are ever really cuddly, but with time, patience, and LOTS of treats, they will be friendly and less skittish.

Just be patient. Always announce your presence in a soft soothing voice and gently put your hand down by them when you pick them up. That and continue to try to entice them with treats!
smile.png
Even under the best of circumstances, some will always be skittish. Ducks are just not *usually* a very cuddly pet, although there are exceptions.

Keep us updated on the Aylesbury! I am really curious about their temperament since we don't have many of them in the states.

Mine went through stages. When I first got them they were terrified of me, but slowly adjusted. Once I started giving them treats they warmed up pretty good. I still wasn't able to pick them up like you can a cat or dog. If I caught them I could hold them for a bit. Then they were through this 2 week period where they wouldn't get within 2 feet of me, treats or no treats. I was told it was their "teenage" stage and they would out grow it. Well they did. They are now back to eating out of my hands, not able to get them in my lap yet, but I will soon. You just have to keep bonding with them. Use repetition in everything, call them with the same words everyday, learn their favorite treats, get them in a routine and stick to it. Once you do get them in a routine you will learn that having ducks is a breeze and very rewarding. They can be very comical at times! Be calm around them is a plus. Also the thing that lifted my spirits when I was feeling "unloved" by my ducks, I decided it was time to let them free range while I was in the yard with them. They really surprised me, they stayed really close to me. And I think they formed a sense of "security" with me and started to trust me a bit more.

Good Luck! Any pics? We love duck pics!!

Mine all used to be terrified of me. Four were purchased as adult ducks, one as a duckling, and four were hatched here Momma ducks (so seemed to take on their fears). (My one purchased duckling came from a home where I think she got a little more attention than some ducks do and so she's actually been the calmest overall.)

They hadn't seemed very interested in foraging this summer so recently I started feeding them just in the morning and evening and only what they will eat up in about ten minutes (I read somewhere that that keeps them from being over weight). Now, when I bring them goodies, they are much more interested in me and they actually approach me in the afternoons as if to remind me that it's time for food.

We also take 'walks' a couple of times a day. I slowly "herd" them around the yard a couple of times and, though they don't actually follow me yet, they are starting to act a little more like we are 'walking', rather than as if they are on a desperate run from my presence.

I also recently obtained a Silky drake and an East Indie drake. They are in a separate pen with two Silkie chickens. They were initially really scared and hid all the time, but after about a month they are now out looking for food and fresh water in their pool shortly after I go into their pen each morning.

So have patience and hopefully they will come around.

p.s. When my mother is over she talks to them in the calmest sweetest voice and they all stop and listen. I try, but I think my voice is more irritating and they just aren't terribly interested in whatever it is I have to say (though the dog and cat are happy to listen to me babble on and on about nothing at all).

31977_were_a_team2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom