My ducks aren't laying

farmerob

Hatching
Mar 25, 2016
So, we have 9 hens and 2 drakes that are 8 months old. We are only getting 1 egg every 3-4 days. The most we have received is 3 in one day, and that was only 1 time when they were around 5-6 months old. What can we do to make them more productive? They have 3 acres to forage in and have plenty of water tubs around the yard, plus their own run to go to feel safe. This is getting frustrating.

Ducks slow down as the days get shorter, so you may not really see eggs until next spring when they start up again.

Some further thoughts -

What breed? My Runners laid daily for several months their first year. But some breeds are seasonal layers.

If they are free ranging - are they hiding the eggs? Ducks do not always lay early in the morning.

If they are free ranging - are you monitoring their weight? What climate are you in? Available forage varies week to week.

Do you supplement their foraging with any kind of feed?

Some further thoughts -

What breed? My Runners laid daily for several months their first year. But some breeds are seasonal layers.

If they are free ranging - are they hiding the eggs? Ducks do not always lay early in the morning.

If they are free ranging - are you monitoring their weight? What climate are you in? Available forage varies week to week.

Do you supplement their foraging with any kind of feed?
yes, Amiga is right. They will hide eggs sometimes. look for places where grass was moved around, or "dented" can't think of the word...

Back
Top Bottom