My ducks cant figure out the pool

PepperM

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2016
Omaha, NE
I had a pretty small pool that I upgraded this weekend. Its about 3 times bigger and taller as well. My ducks cant figure out how to get in it.

I even put a piece of wood to act as a ramp and they still look at ME like I'm the idiot.
gig.gif

What can I do to encourage them to try the ramp and get in the water? We are in a heat wave in Nebraska and I worry about them because they LIVED in the little pool on hot days like these.

Thanks!

Pepper

Last edited:
I had a pretty small pool that I upgraded this weekend.  Its about 3 times bigger and taller as well.  My ducks cant figure out how to get in it. 

I even put a piece of wood to act as a ramp and they still look at ME like I'm the idiot.  :gig

What can I do to encourage them to try the ramp and get in the water?  We are in a heat wave in Nebraska and I worry about them because they LIVED in the little pool on hot days like these.

Thanks!

Pepper

Put them on the ramp and push them up it into the pool. They will usually have it figured out after that.
You may need some bricks in the bottom of the pool so that they can get out

I wish I could but they run from me anytime I enter their pen. Might try leaving a trail of food up the ramp tonight and see if I can coax them in :) Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Last edited:
I wish I could but they run from me anytime I enter their pen.  Might try leaving a trail of food up the ramp tonight and see if I can coax them ion :)  Thanks for the suggestion tho!

If they run away from you try herding them into the pool then,

I just upgraded my pool yesterday and had the same issue. I put a wooden ramp going up and they would not use it. So I made steps out of bricks going up from the ground to the pool and then also going down into the pool...it worked like a charm! They've been in & out all day...more in then out! ;)

I had a pretty small pool that I upgraded this weekend. Its about 3 times bigger and taller as well. My ducks cant figure out how to get in it.

I even put a piece of wood to act as a ramp and they still look at ME like I'm the idiot.
gig.gif

What can I do to encourage them to try the ramp and get in the water? We are in a heat wave in Nebraska and I worry about them because they LIVED in the little pool on hot days like these.

Thanks!

Pepper

I am in the same boat today - set up a nice 50 gallon stock tank, with a 10 inch wide board, not steep, dried mealworms leading up the ramp, and a big rock inside the tank for ease of exit. This was day one. I did not expect them to take to it. I am guessing that Alba, our most adventurous duck, will notice it, hop in, and everyone else will get the idea.

Meanwhile. keep the little pool available, and consider freezing some lettuce in blocks of ice and toss those in.

I just upgraded my pool yesterday and had the same issue. I put a wooden ramp going up and they would not use it. So I made steps out of bricks going up from the ground to the pool and then also going down into the pool...it worked like a charm! They've been in & out all day...more in then out!
wink.png

Aha, maybe I'll try that!

Back
Top Bottom