My ducks keep going to the street!

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
I've had this flock of ducks for 2 years with zero issues.

For the last 2 weeks, one of the girls is insisting that she nest across the street.

We have 4 lovely acres that the ducks can wander about and a nice pond. Why oh why would these ducks choose to try to cross the street? We have a 40 mph speed limit and a fair amount of traffic.

I'm losing my mind chasing these ducks back! Fencing is not an option.

Should I confine her (or all of them) to the duck house for a while? A week? Longer?

I also cannot locate where she is nesting (on the other side of the road). If I could, I'd remove any eggs.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

When my family's ducks were starting to wander too close to the neighbor's horse pasture fencing we moved the wind sock and lawn ornament stone dog (which freaks them out) so that both would be in their way if they wanted to pass.

I don't know if this will help in your case, but if you could potentially make something in between that area and her nest too scary or unsettling she may abandon it?

Sounds like she’s got a nest across the street or a spot that she likes and wants to nest in sure would be great if you could find it. Perhaps duplicate in your yard what has her interest. Shame you can’t up up a fence, HOA or something? I wish I could be of more help. I’m crossing my fingers for you!:fl

When my family's ducks were starting to wander too close to the neighbor's horse pasture fencing we moved the wind sock and lawn ornament stone dog (which freaks them out) so that both would be in their way if they wanted to pass.

I don't know if this will help in your case, but if you could potentially make something in between that area and her nest too scary or unsettling she may abandon it?
A wind sock! That's a very good idea.

Sounds like she’s got a nest across the street or a spot that she likes and wants to nest in sure would be great if you could find it. Perhaps duplicate in your yard what has her interest. Shame you can’t up up a fence, HOA or something? I wish I could be of more help. I’m crossing my fingers for you!:fl
I wish I could find the nesting spot. We have a large densely wooded ravine across the street. I'm going to go and look for her again. If I find it and any eggs, I'll bring it back to a safe space on our property. Nevertheless, she's definitely grounded!

Back
Top Bottom