1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck's right wing - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlakeRyan, Jan 23, 2016.

1. BlakeRyan

BlakeRyan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2015
    Where would I get vet wrap? Thats a good idea. He gets up and acts normal still, just a little off balance and you can tell he isn't happy he can't spread his wings

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At Tractor Supply they have it for horses which in most cases you'd have to cut it but for angel wing it would probably be the right width. I love it . And sometimes they have it on sale. Hopefully by day 3 he will be good as new. Did you cut the protein down? you can do that by adding wheat or oats to their feed or if your about out of starter just going to a grower next.

3. BlakeRyan

Dec 21, 2015
    How do I cut protein down when he's been on the same grain feed since day one? It's not starter feed, just poultry feed. He preferred that over "baby" food from day 1...

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Is it like an all flock? where it's for all stages of life. That is what I have always used but mine are usually with their mama so their diet is varied from the start. Anything you buy though be careful it is for planting because it's been treated with chemicals or pesticides. Purina Flock Raiser has I believe 20% protein and I cut it by adding whole oats like reg oatmeal not instant, and wheat. I buy my wheat at the grocery store in the bulk bins a co op would probably be cheaper if you have one. Some ducklings just seem to be prone to it but if caught in time is an easy fix. Just a sprinkle of oats and or wheat over his feed will probably be enough.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. BlakeRyan

Dec 21, 2015
    He won't keep anythong on his darn wing! He keeps getting anything we try to tape on him off, little ****!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  7. BlakeRyan

Dec 21, 2015
    What is that?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    panty hose. lol

9. BlakeRyan

Dec 21, 2015
    Lol good idea

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It worked !! could also be used as a straight jacket .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by