1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my ducks scratch themselves a lot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeannaMari, Apr 17, 2013.

1. DeannaMari

DeannaMari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    My ducklings have been scratching a lot, like at toward their heads like dogs do, they will lay down and scratch at their heads. Is this normal?

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Yup, normal. :)

3. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    I've realized ducklings tend to scratch at themselves a lot. Maybe it's the feathers coming in.. who knows? It seems fairly typical. You could give them a DE dust bath if you're concerned about parasites, and give them a supervised bath to let them clean off and flush out their nostrils.

4. DeannaMari

Mar 3, 2013
    I give them like an 8 minute bath in the bath tub everyday with me watching. I noticed they are much cleaner than chickens, so I thought maybe that could had be part of the reason, I just wanted to make sure it was normal for them. I don't want my babies getting sick.

5. michellemcfeely

michellemcfeely Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Aberdeen, WA
    What is a DE dust bath??

quote name="ShayBaby" url="/t/769360/my-ducks-scratch-themselves-a-lot#post_10963952"]I've realized ducklings tend to scratch at themselves a lot. Maybe it's the feathers coming in.. who knows? It seems fairly typical. You could give them a DE dust bath if you're concerned about parasites, and give them a supervised bath to let them clean off and flush out their nostrils.[/quote]

6. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    Diatomaceous Earth. It comes in a dusty, flaky form (but dissolves easily for consumption, as well). Soft to our touch, great dust-bath-material, but is blade-like to buggies and will slice them up and kill them. It has countless beneficial uses; I recommend googling it. I even use food-grade DE occasionally in our human drinking water.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might just take a good look (I would need my reading glasses) and see if there are any little bugs on them, but I agree that it's likely just the normal amount of scratching from feather growth and rapid development. Their skin may be a little dry, too.

8. DeannaMari

Mar 3, 2013
    Ok oh. I'll take a good look when i get home, they never leave any bugs in the bath

9. donaquijote

donaquijote Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I have a full grown Pekin male and he is constantly scratching and biting at his feathers, and under his wings. Constant! Is this normal and if not, what do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by