my ducks scratch themselves a lot

DeannaMari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
My ducklings have been scratching a lot, like at toward their heads like dogs do, they will lay down and scratch at their heads. Is this normal?

I've realized ducklings tend to scratch at themselves a lot. Maybe it's the feathers coming in.. who knows? It seems fairly typical. You could give them a DE dust bath if you're concerned about parasites, and give them a supervised bath to let them clean off and flush out their nostrils.

I give them like an 8 minute bath in the bath tub everyday with me watching. I noticed they are much cleaner than chickens, so I thought maybe that could had be part of the reason, I just wanted to make sure it was normal for them. I don't want my babies getting sick.

What is a DE dust bath??

quote name="ShayBaby" url="/t/769360/my-ducks-scratch-themselves-a-lot#post_10963952"]I've realized ducklings tend to scratch at themselves a lot. Maybe it's the feathers coming in.. who knows? It seems fairly typical. You could give them a DE dust bath if you're concerned about parasites, and give them a supervised bath to let them clean off and flush out their nostrils.[/quote]

Diatomaceous Earth. It comes in a dusty, flaky form (but dissolves easily for consumption, as well). Soft to our touch, great dust-bath-material, but is blade-like to buggies and will slice them up and kill them. It has countless beneficial uses; I recommend googling it. I even use food-grade DE occasionally in our human drinking water.

You might just take a good look (I would need my reading glasses) and see if there are any little bugs on them, but I agree that it's likely just the normal amount of scratching from feather growth and rapid development. Their skin may be a little dry, too.

I have a full grown Pekin male and he is constantly scratching and biting at his feathers, and under his wings. Constant! Is this normal and if not, what do I do?

Back
Top Bottom