Last night at around 6:30 pm my two white pekin ducks were attacked by what we believe to be a weasel. They are still alive and I took them to an emergency exotic vet last night. They were cleaned, given antibiotics and pain medicine. Today, they seem to be struggling just the same. They were both attacked on the backs of their necks and have some bites on their chests. The attack was not severe, I think that I got to them while the weasel was attacking and scared it off. I don’t know if they’re just in shock and traumatized, or if their situation is worse than it seems. Neither of them have ate yet. They have kind of pecked at food but will not try and eat it. They also are not drinking much water. I am keeping them inside in an area where they are warm. I am worried about them not eating. They won’t quack at all either and they are usually very talkative. The vet said she believes they will be able to recover just fine. Do you think they are just still in shock? Or could something be worse?
Sorry to hear your babies were attacked and injured, wishing them a speedy recovery. :) Were your ducks in their coop when they were attacked? If it was a Weasel, he will be back. :(

Update:
They are starting to eat a little bit from my hand and trying their hardest to drink water! One of the ducks Ive noticed has a drooping wing. I’m not sure if this means it could be fractured?

Next time you change the wrap, it would be good to feel around the wing, and see if you can feel if there is a fracture or not. At the same time, it may also be good to post pictures of the wing.

Generally, most wing fractures are bandaged, using the fiqure-eight wrap.

1607946504550.png

Update:
The duck with the hurt or broken wing, Mila, I have realized is unable to swallow. I gave them both their favorite snack today, earth worms, and was trying to hand feed her. I hadn’t noticed before because she was trying to get food from their usual dish. She is very interested in the worms and tries to eat them, but is unable to. I am at the vet again now to have her seen. Hopefully nothing in her throat is permanently damaged. If anyone has experienced this with a bird please let me know!

Update:
The duck with the hurt or broken wing, Mila, I have realized is unable to swallow. I gave them both their favorite snack today, earth worms, and was trying to hand feed her. I hadn’t noticed before because she was trying to get food from their usual dish. She is very interested in the worms and tries to eat them, but is unable to. I am at the vet again now to have her seen. Hopefully nothing in her throat is permanently damaged. If anyone has experienced this with a bird please let me know!

What did the vet say?

What did the vet say?
I’m still sitting here waiting :( no update with the vet yet. Ive done some research on here about ducks not being able to swallow after an attack. Apparently swelling as well as other damage to their throats can cause this. They ended up tube feeding their duck, which i’m thinking is something I might have to end up doing. I’m nervous about it, but I’ve watched some youtube videos on how to do it so I’m hopefully prepared. I’ll update again with what the vet says!

What did the vet say?
Update with the vet:
Mila was very hungry. He tube fed her and the tube went down smoothly. He says her throat is just swollen, so he gave us a syringe and some formula. She will be able to swallow when I put small m&m sized clumps off the food out of the syringe in her mouth according to the vet. He said she should go back to eating normal in a few days! He believes they will both make a full recovery!

I live near the woods, so foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, and raccoons are a big problem for me. My ducks occasionally get attacked despite my best efforts to keep them safe at night. I have had some miraculously recover with a little bit of antibiotics despite life-threatening injuries. I have also had some eventually pass away from leg injuries. What I've learned is that you provide antibiotics for eye injuries and open wounds, use vet wrap for leg injuries, and use a knee-high stocking for wing injuries that don't correct themselves within 48 hours. Beyond that, it is simply up to the duck. How long the shock lasts depends on how long the ducks continue to feel fear. Handling them more can help them to realize that you won't hurt them a little faster. Even ducks who weren't attacked will be afraid after an attack involving their flock members.

Most likely shock. my ducks got attacked by a dog once. My Pekin was very ruffled up the first day. He acted normal with a week but on the other hand my khaki only showed sign of stress for a few minutes. I went outside found her on the floor laying thou al stretched out. I brought her inside and then started walking around and would stop quacking o brought her back outside and she was just running around and eating and swimming as if it never happened.
If you feel like they are in a lot of stress I recommend getting some electrolytes for their water. It can help with stress. Not trying to scare you but I’ve read many stories where they die from being frightened than the injury alone.
Praying for you ducks! :love

Back
Top Bottom