I am so sorry.
Do ducks eat a mash? This is what I would do if they were chickens.
If you have a trail camera, you may want to put that up to try and catch the little culprit and set a plan to capture it.
My ducks usually don’t, they’re pretty spoiled with greens and meal worms, of course along with their normal food. I am pretty sure that ducks will eat it though, I could definitely try that out. And yes, I was already searching for a trap to purchase!

My ducks usually don’t, they’re pretty spoiled with greens and meal worms, of course along with their normal food. I am pretty sure that ducks will eat it though, I could definitely try that out. And yes, I was already searching for a trap to purchase!
Farmers up here find it hard to catch weasels. They can easily smell humans and their scent on the traps. Some farmers have to put bales of straw or hay all around the trap with a little tunnel to the trap to catch them. I accidently caught a weasel with a rat trap one year.
I hope you caught it or at least hopefully it moves along if it can't get to the ducks.

It is normal for birds to be traumatized after an attack, and not eat/ or drink much. However, it would be good to start weighing them on a food scale, to get a baseline weight on them. If they lose around 5% of that weight, it would be advised that you implement some sort of tube feeding. It's easy to do at home, and your vet would probably show you how to do it as well.

You can offer them a warm soupy feed mash often, and try to drip sugar water, or an electrolyte such as Gatorade along their bill to keep them hydrated. Keep them in a warm, stress-free area for now. If they're not able to hold their neck up well, provide a shallow dish of water to prevent drowning or possible aspiration.

Thank you! Yes that’s what I thought as well. I’m not sure if you have any experience, but if you do, are you sure about how long they could experience shock from an event like this?

unfortunatelly I do not have that experience. but I had a hen who had been sleeping and snoring for 6 days due to severe IB. I had to syringe water, give her antibiotics 2x a day and I also put some cracked corn and wheat in her beak and flushed it with water. on day 6 she woke up and expelled a huge piece of mucus.

that gives hope for any sick animal. if your ducks pecked some food that means that they are hungry but probaly in pain so they don't eat. try to give them something soft that will be easier to swallow. and they definitely have to drink.

you can chop greens. my sick chickens always start eating chopped greens before they even try to eat their feed. chopped boiled eggs would help too.

Update:
They are starting to eat a little bit from my hand and trying their hardest to drink water! One of the ducks Ive noticed has a drooping wing. I’m not sure if this means it could be fractured?

Update:
They are starting to eat a little bit from my hand and trying their hardest to drink water! One of the ducks Ive noticed has a drooping wing. I’m not sure if this means it could be fractured?

that is a good sign.

can you somehow fix her wing? a friend of mine used an old sock to keep the peahen's wing tight to her body. she made the opening for the other wing. it worked.

that is a good sign.

can you somehow fix her wing? a friend of mine used an old sock to keep the peahen's wing tight to her body. she made the opening for the other wing. it worked.
I looked up some youtube videos from vets fixing up broken wings. I decided to use some vet wrap to wrap around her body and keep the wing in the correct place. Internet says I should keep it like that for 3 weeks! Hopefully this is a good way to help heal her wing.

I looked up some youtube videos from vets fixing up broken wings. I decided to use some vet wrap to wrap around her body and keep the wing in the correct place. Internet says I should keep it like that for 3 weeks! Hopefully this is a good way to help heal her wing.

you can check it every 2-3 days and wrap it again if needed. she might be off balance due to pain.

my friend kept it wraped for 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom