my ducks won't be quiet!

Shannonlnorris

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2016
Hello, I have 2 10 week old Pekin Ducks which wake me up at 4am every morning without fail and will not stop quaking until I am outside with them. Them moment I go inside they start again. This wouldn't be a problem however we have neighbours on one side who we think may complain from the noise. They aren't hungry and they have access to two ponds, they just want me out there watching them 24/7.

I don't know what I can do anymore!

How long did it take them to grow out of it?

I had a lot of ducks but only kept the ones who were naturally quiet. Some just keep making noise all day long and some others only quack when they are really scared of something. American Pekins where selected for commercial reasons (quick growing, meat, eggs). My ducks were selected to be quiet.
Did you hand raise them? Maybe they just think you are they mum? They are still young

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry you have loud ducks. There is really not much you can do to quiet them. You could try building them a more sound proof coop, but that has its own disadvantages. @macgro7 has a point. I have some plans for late spring myself.
The school next door isn't really complaining but they have certainly commented on the noisy morning ducks.
My ducks never really grew out of it. I got them March of last year. The littles love to be watched like little kids they did get better as they got older, but some are still pretty darn loud. Others are just chatty.
However they don't wake me up quite that early so I don't mind too much. During the winter months, I make them a bowl of warm mash with peas in it for breakfast every morning. I thought it was kind of a nice way to start a cold morning. Now they expect their mush at 8 A.M. and will NOT shut up till they get it. Once they eat it, they are off to the pond and relatively content for the rest of the day....until dinner time. They are very demanding about their meals.

I had a lot of ducks but only kept the ones who were naturally quiet. Some just keep making noise all day long and some others only quack when they are really scared of something. American Pekins where selected for commercial reasons (quick growing, meat, eggs). My ducks were selected to be quiet.
Did you hand raise them? Maybe they just think you are they mum? They are still young

Do you have a light on in your coop at night? Pekins tend to make a lot of noise if they have a light on. It's like they're trying to say "Turn these darn lights off, we're trying to sleep!". But they'll probably grow out of it.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Ducks are smart so if they have learned to get their way by making noise they are not likely to change their ways. Sometimes during the bonding process ducks become too dependent on human companionship, particularly if they imprinted. I have seen people do this with ducklings and create loud and demanding ducks they often have to find another home for because the neighbors complain. If the ducks are just hungry you can keep feeders full for them but if they are stressed out because you are out of sight, then you may have a chronic problem that will be difficult to solve.

Do you have a light on in your coop at night?  Pekins tend to make a lot of noise if they have a light on.  It's like they're trying to say "Turn these darn lights off, we're trying to sleep!".  But they'll probably grow out of it.

Edited by Staff

No i dont have any light.
My exhibition aylesbury ducks are veeery quiet comparing to my commercial white ducks (I. E. Pekins).

Back
Top Bottom