My EE made a mad dash for the coop... SHE LAID HER FIRST EGG!

Ravishaw

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
This weekend was shocking in several ways.

My flock consists of 3 chicks in a brooder, 12 hens we purchased and raised from chicks, 2 hens and a rooster our neighbor gave us.

MY ROOSTER FINALLY HAS SOME NEW LADIES! I saw him mount one of my raised-from-a-chick wynadottes TWICE on Sunday. The old barred rock he came with did not look the least bit jealous. She glanced over at him, cocked her head, and then went back to scratching. The implication was clear, after months and months of being his only hen, "HE'S ALL YOURS HONEY!"
tongue.gif

One of my little americaunas, the light brown one, made a dash for the coop Sunday afternoon. Later when I went in to check on the chicks, she was rustling the wood shavings in the box and acting very agitated. I disturbed her and she came out of the box but stayed on the landing I have in front of the boxes.

Now I never heard her sing, but when I came back to the box later, there was a itty bitty light green egg. I was so excited! The easter egg! My americauna is officially NO LONGER ON SCHOLARSHIP!
celebrate.gif

Almost immediately afterwards, one of my new Barred rocks decided to set up shop in my son's toy workshop bench. She rustled around in all the plastic tools, and tried to set to lay an egg, but there were no results. I think I'm going to go ahead and fill the tool compartment up with wood shavings and see what happens. Me thinks this hen won't enjoy laying anywhere but my son's workbench.

Lastly, all the hens but one sneaky wynadotte are on lockdown today. I'm teaching them all to lay in the boxes, and when I went in one little wynadotte snuck out before I could close the door. I'm sure the other chickens are resentful, but meh...

This weekend made me smile.

got another first egg yesterday!!!

My barred rock (that wanted to lay in the tool bench) layed a little brown egg.

Back
Top Bottom