My EE's don't like my silkies

Quote:
Yes, that is a problem.
Well if I were in your situation I would try to create a multilevel pen, with stairs or ramps or whatever, so that you transform your volume in ground surface, but you need to be careful and make something stable and easy to access for the chickens, or they will end up death or not even go in there, this way when they get pecked (if they get) they will go and run far from the danger.

Or you can create an indoor suspended pen for you bantams, since they are silkies they bear confinement well. And you will be able to have some nice protected place to put them incubating some eggs as they are known for they broodiness and incubation skills.

But above all the conclusion you should get is to made a basic calculation knowing that 4 square feet per bird inside coop space is the standard requirements so you always know the maximum birds you should get, before you get to buy.

I thought that was what we were doing when we put a top roost and bottom roost. the bottom roost runs in the opposite direction so that it can be used as a way to get up top the second, .... all I can think of is to add a roost or two? (higher or in between the top and bottom ones)
Im not trying to be difficult I just thought that what we had would do it.
We purposely got more hens before the winter because we were concerned about the cold temperature. Chickens can heat themselves pretty good, i was just nervous about the cold factor since we wont be using a lamp. we run out of power alot due to high wind, so I wouldn't want them to get used to it and freeze to death

Ooops something else I noticed the fights seem to be happening when they try to eat (they are basically never allowed to eat from what i see). Should I ad another feeder or something??
I have to come up with a better design.... We are undecided on how we are going to work the pen next door. at first i was hoping to join the two because they are close enough. but then I would not be able to free range my original flock. I can allow 10 birds to range but 30 is a bit much for my neighbors to handle. we live on 1 acre of land

Try tarping and supporting part of the run so the can scratch around on bare ground in winter too...
wink.png

ON

So I had an idea. If the fights always start over food and water why not give them their own place in the coop that only they can access
here is what I cam up with:

I sectioned off one of the lower nest boxes with chicken wire. I am currently feeding them from there to make sure that they get a chance to eat
54911_dsc02824.jpg

I made a tiny hole that only they can fit through (at least being small gives them that advantage)
54911_dsc02826.jpg

54911_dsc02827.jpg

i guess we will see how it goes. I still have to get them some kind of rodent waterer that I can strap to the wall or something. right now they are trying to get some water and roo is not letting them drink
I gave them a haircut too, lol. At least that way they can see it coming and run away

Last edited:
Quote:
That's funny. I didn't much like them either. I couldn't understand why anybody would want a useless bird (as far as i knew they were only used for show)
but then I found out they were very good broody's so I figured why not?

Back
Top Bottom