My Eggs are Cheeping! Due to Hatch 12/4!

Pictures!

I love-love this first one to hatch! It has many black spots on it's back, wings, some on the back of its head, and a lot on the neck (that doesn't show in the pics because its neck is tucked). I really hope this one's a pullet!
smile.png

paintchick2.jpg

paintchick.jpg

Here is the only one of the 7 hatched that didn't come out paint, but it sure is cute anyway.
whitetippedchick2.jpg

This one has some black spots starting to show, mainly in the middle of the back:
paintchicktwo.jpg

This one has some black between it's wings and a spot near the tail:
paintchickthree.jpg

thechicks2.jpg

The others have tiny hair flecks of black here and there, but not very visible yet. I can't wait to see these guys start feathering now! Now if the rest of these eggs would just hatch!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, that's the incubator I'm using. It's a Little Giant. Mixed reviews on them. It's a great starter incubator, takes some work to get stable and will cause you some grief, but they can work well still.

Your grandson is HILARIOUS! That is super cute. I'll have to remember that when I want something.... "well I need it because it will change my life!" lol

Quote:
I agree totally. I did the same thing on my homemade incubator. I wanted to keep it very simple.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_3188.jpghttp://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/Pictureb111.jpghttp://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/aliedaw1/IMG_3190.jpg

Great pics cmom! I see you were brave enough to make your own incubator! Someday I would like to try that....

I don't incubate in it anymore. I have a cabinet incubator I incubate in but I do staggered hatches so I do use it as a hatcher. Works very well.

Another paint chick hatched out overnight. I looked closely at the two remaining eggs. One I candled closely and by the black stuff in it, it looks like it has bacteria and no longer good. I removed it and am scared to do an eggtopsy on it. The other looks very dried out. I can't see any movement at all. I tried helping by peeling back some shell but saw blood so I stopped right away. I'm not sure this one is going to make it, but I'm hopeful. It doesn't seem ready to hatch but it's really tight in there, so I don't know if it can hatch.... will wait anxiously to see.

There are two more eggs still but since they were put in the incubator later, they're due to hatch tonight / tomorrow night.

congratulations Shayna you got a lot of paints like you were wanting. Your pictures were really good also, not one chick looks sticky. My first chick to hatch is a bit sticky and small but seems fine.
My hatch so far is up to 10. Lots of good colors. I was hoping for more Buff ones they are my favorite. My chick that pipped unside down did not make it, by the time I saw it and got it turned around there was no movement, it was already dead...... It was a buff one..
hit.gif

So what do you breed together to get paint.

Quote:
Thanks! I'm sorry you lost your buff. I hope you got others of that color. They are pretty. The egg I was waiting on hoping it would hatch didn't make it either.
sad.png
It's not a good feeling when you lose any. I'm still waiting on 2 and hoping this incubator mess didn't cause them any problems.

Got a pic of my favorite all fluffed up
spots-1.jpg

Most of the others have small flecks of black that should turn out really nice when they feather, but there are a couple that I still can't tell yet if they will have any spots. I think you could try to cross different silkies for years and never get a paint. It started as an unexpected genetic fluke that was bred back to create more paints the way I understand it. I bought paints to get these babies.

What other color babies did you get?

Quote:
Thanks, I try not to stare at them too much and get stuff done. lol Yours are officially on the way!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom