alexisasch

Hatching
Oct 31, 2020
Hello everyone! I have a 16 year old emden gander. Two months ago, I noticed he started having trouble with his vision but his eyes still looked clear and with no drainage. About a month ago, his right eye had become foggy and he was blind in that eye. I figured this was just a normal aging process and he was getting cataracts. Since then, his eye has slowly become swollen nearly shut. There's not really drainage from that eye and he doesn't seem bothered by it. He's acting like his normal self. But I'm concerned he might have an infection. Can anyone help? Or tell me what is going on?

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_225957654.jpg
    PXL_20201031_225957654.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20201031_232757134.jpg
    PXL_20201031_232757134.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20201031_225526335.jpg
    PXL_20201031_225526335.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to the BYC community.

I'm sorry to hear about your gander. Could you flush the eye with some saline or eyewash, wipe off any gunk with a damp towel, and apply either an antibacterial ointment to the eye, or something such as Terramycin. To test his eyesight, with a closed fist, swiftly move your hands towards his eye and note any reaction. Let us know whether he reacts, or doesn't show any reaction.

Welcome to the BYC community.

I'm sorry to hear about your gander. Could you flush the eye with some saline or eyewash, wipe off any gunk with a damp towel, and apply either an antibacterial ointment to the eye, or something such as Terramycin. To test his eyesight, with a closed fist, swiftly move your hands towards his eye and note any reaction. Let us know whether he reacts, or doesn't show any reaction.
Oh I didn't realize I could just buy antibiotic ointment over the counter! I'll go ahead and do that. He is definitely blind in the right eye but he can see good out the left. Thanks for your reply!

Oh I didn't realize I could just buy antibiotic ointment over the counter! I'll go ahead and do that. He is definitely blind in the right eye but he can see good out the left. Thanks for your reply!

Yes, you can get it either at your feed store or online.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoetis-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Antibiotic-Infections/dp/B07GXX34Z2

If the ointment, and flushing doesn't help the eye problem, consider taking him into a vet so swabs can be taken off the eye to determine the major bacterial inhabitants of the area, and to determine via the Kirby-Bauer antimicrobial sensitivity test what eye antibiotic would be best used.

Is he allowed to dunk his head in deep/clean water during the day/night?

Yes, you can get it either at your feed store or online.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoetis-Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Antibiotic-Infections/dp/B07GXX34Z2

If the ointment, and flushing doesn't help the eye problem, consider taking him into a vet so swabs can be taken off the eye to determine the major bacterial inhabitants of the area, and to determine via the Kirby-Bauer antimicrobial sensitivity test what eye antibiotic would be best used.

Is he allowed to dunk his head in deep/clean water during the day/night?
Ok will do. Yes we clean out his pool regularly so he has access to clean water to splash and play in

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_230434065.jpg
    PXL_20201031_230434065.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom