My experience with bielefelders so far

Just found this post during research about Bielefelders sudden dead. I lost a roosters at 6 months and just lost a hen today that was 1 year. Really disappointed of this breed.
I am now down to only 3 bielefelder roosters. The ones that remain seem strong but the variation in health is garbage. I also definitely noticed that there was no "average size" among them, their sizes were all over the place from one massive rooster thats pushing 15lbs to roosters that never broke 8lbs and one of my hens was hardly larger than a bantam.

I am now down to only 3 bielefelder roosters. The ones that remain seem strong but the variation in health is garbage. I also definitely noticed that there was no "average size" among them, their sizes were all over the place from one massive rooster thats pushing 15lbs to roosters that never broke 8lbs and one of my hens was hardly larger than a bantam.
Agree. I was looking to get this breed for eggs production and meat if needed, but my Rhode Island lays much better and big eggs. She also started before 6 months…I still have two hens and a rooster. The rooster was kept just to be able to have new chicks later on, but I’m no longer sure I would continue to raise this breed after all.

To those of you who have had trouble with sudden death of Bielefelders, would you mind posting where you got your birds & what your feed/housing arrangement is/was for your birds? Curious if there is a link between where they're sourced, or possibly management styles these birds are particularly unsuitable for (free range/confinement/tractor, free choice/time-limited feeding, etc).

I'm considering getting some Biels, but want to be sure it would be worth my time & money!

My rooster was from eBay eggs(got 3 and all 3 hatched… roosters). Kept one and rehomed the 2 others. The hen who passed, was bought as a chick from a breeder ( shipped with her sister that I still have). They are in coop at night and free range on the backyard during the day. Regarding the feed, they all have Purina pellets, scratch grains, mealworms. Water and coop cleaned daily. I think the feeding is relevant when more than one breed is affected.

Attachments

• C267332F-1954-487E-A218-9110285796EF.jpeg
    C267332F-1954-487E-A218-9110285796EF.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 27
My rooster was from eBay eggs(got 3 and all 3 hatched… roosters). Kept one and rehomed the 2 others. The hen who passed, was bought as a chick from a breeder ( shipped with her sister that I still have). They are in coop at night and free range on the backyard during the day. Regarding the feed, they all have Purina pellets, scratch grains, mealworms. Water and coop cleaned daily. I think the feeding is relevant when more than one breed is affected.
Thanks for sharing details!

I got my Biels from Omega Hills as hatching eggs, and I've been happy with them so far. I ended up with two roosters and four hens. One of the roosters was very flighty and nasty towards me, he ended up as soup. Great meat bird, I have to say. The other, while he does posture at me, follows me around like a puppy and is perfectly calm being held and pet. I do have hens with missing back feathers due to him, but he honestly doesn't seem overly aggressive, he's just big I think, with not quite enough hens to cover.

Of the four hens, one turned out incorrectly colored. She looks a lot like a New Hampshire red, which was a breed used to create the Biel. She is a very large bird though, and very beautiful. One hen was caught by an owl sadly. And yes, I did have one hen die suddenly of unknown causes.

They free range and eat....anything and everything. They have access to our compost pile, so anything goes. I wanted birds that were tough, and these guys have fit the bill perfectly for me. They survived a whole string of below zero nights with no extra heat or care.. Just a bit of frostbite on the tips of the combs as a result. They started laying late, but were solid producers all through a rough colorado winter. They are predator savvy as well, I even watched my roo play the injured chicken card to try to draw a hawks attention away from his ladies, while they all flattened to the ground and waited for his return.

My take on the whole thing? I think they are great birds, but the breed isn't finished fully developing over here in the US. I think there are a TON of birds over here that were inbred too far, resulting in the sudden deaths. The breed needs some dedicated folks to work out some issues. But I see the potential!

Attachments

• 20210602_112134.jpg
    20210602_112134.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210603_121301.jpg
    20210603_121301.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 25
I got my Biels from Omega Hills as hatching eggs, and I've been happy with them so far. I ended up with two roosters and four hens. One of the roosters was very flighty and nasty towards me, he ended up as soup. Great meat bird, I have to say. The other, while he does posture at me, follows me around like a puppy and is perfectly calm being held and pet. I do have hens with missing back feathers due to him, but he honestly doesn't seem overly aggressive, he's just big I think, with not quite enough hens to cover.

Of the four hens, one turned out incorrectly colored. She looks a lot like a New Hampshire red, which was a breed used to create the Biel. She is a very large bird though, and very beautiful. One hen was caught by an owl sadly. And yes, I did have one hen die suddenly of unknown causes.

They free range and eat....anything and everything. They have access to our compost pile, so anything goes. I wanted birds that were tough, and these guys have fit the bill perfectly for me. They survived a whole string of below zero nights with no extra heat or care.. Just a bit of frostbite on the tips of the combs as a result. They started laying late, but were solid producers all through a rough colorado winter. They are predator savvy as well, I even watched my roo play the injured chicken card to try to draw a hawks attention away from his ladies, while they all flattened to the ground and waited for his return.

My take on the whole thing? I think they are great birds, but the breed isn't finished fully developing over here in the US. I think there are a TON of birds over here that were inbred too far, resulting in the sudden deaths. The breed needs some dedicated folks to work out some issues. But I see the potential!
I appreciate your info!

I ordered some Biels to arrive at the end of August. Excited to try them out!

Back
Top Bottom