My experience with Bumblefoot and Tricide-Neo

Meganita513

Chirping
9 Years
May 22, 2014
Indiana
I am just documenting my experience with this as I go, maybe it will help someone else. I hope it works!!
Ginger, my RIR, has bumble foot on both feet. I noticed at the end of the summer, but I have been watching it because neither foot was swollen/warm to touch or seemed to bother her at all. I was DREADING cutting her feet, but then I saw the posts on this foot dip and decided to go that route first.
This was her first treatment and using measurements from other posts, I used 1.5 Tablespoons and 2 quarts of distilled water. I soaked both feet for 5 minutes after rinsing them and taking a photo so I can track progress. I am glad this happened to my well behaved chicken, because this process was harder than I thought! I wrapped her in a towel, rinsed the feet, realized she could still poop outside the towel…..:) Then had to hold her feet down in the solution. I am glad I wore gloves! I used a plastic coffee container that has a snap on lid, so I can keep the solution for the week.
I plan to dip every night for 5 nights. We will see how it goes!

None of the other chickens have it. After some loss in my flock, I added 2 RIR's from another owner. I noticed the bumble foot soon after and I am assuming she came with it. No big deal! I hope….. :)

I am using the tricide-neo powder (ordered online from a koi fish supplier) and distilled water for the solution. Another post broke down the measurements if you don't need a gallon, so I am using that measurement of 1.5 TBS of powder to 2 quarts distilled water.

Last edited:
So, we have done 4 days of the dip and there has been no noticeable difference at all. We skipped yesterday, but will try again this evening. I am hoping we won;t still have to cut it out, but that may be the case.

I should have finished this tale a while ago….The dip seemed to have no effect on her feet. Winter came and seemed to clear things up for now. We are in the process of building a new coop, so hopefully we can keep t at bay with rounded perches and keeping close watch!

Back
Top Bottom