My experience with Ideal Hatchery

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
Just received my first order from Ideal this week. I love the $25 (not 25 chick!) minimum order. I ordered 12 SL Wyandotte pullets, and the small order charge was only $7 -- my total shipping and handling was only $9.80. (I only needed 5, so I listed the rest on Craigslist and had them pre-sold before the shipment even arrived.) Best of all, since they were shipping in warm weather, there were no packing peanuts included! The chicks hatched before 10 a.m. on Wednesday and arrived at my local P.O. the very next day at 9 a.m. I lost one within 24 hours and the customer service rep promptly and cheerfully refunded my money when I called to report it.

All in all, I was pleased with the experience. My only complaints are that there is no toll-free telephone number, which I wouldn't mind, except that I called (long-distance) at least 5 times and was put on hold for what seemed like forever each time. It took several calls to successfully reach an actual person. Also, I was pleased to see on their website that for $1.70 you can purchase insurance and then request that they not include packing peanuts. Since I didn't want the hassle of finding homes for roos, I requested the insurance. A few hours later I discovered, by chance, that purchasing insurance VOIDS their live delivery guarantee --something that was not mentioned anywhere on the website, and not mentioned by the rep who took my order. I e-mailed to request the insurance be removed, which they did promptly. I figured I'd rather deal with the hatchery, and find homes for roos, than do battle with the USPS over an insurance claim if the chicks arrived in bad shape. Happily I ended up with no extra roos anyway.

If I ordered from Ideal again, I think I would call in February in order to get the breed selection I wanted (they're pretty limited now), and request delivery in June to avoid packing peanuts. All in all, though, I have happy, healthy chicks delivered promptly and quite inexpensively, so I'm a satisfied customer.

Last edited:
I'm glad that you had a great experience with Ideal. I did as well! I got SLW chicks, BA, BR, BO, and Ameracaunas. I got OEGB's and Pekin ducklings as well.

I lost 2 chicks shortly after the chicks arrived. When I contacted Ideal, they immediately got back to me and told me that they would include them in my next order. (I had told them that I was going to order more)

I love a company that has great customer service.

Good luck with your chicks!!

Laurie

Hi,

I also like the minimum $$ - rather than the minimum # of chick requirement. My chickies arrived yesterday, they were hatched on the 16th. I ordered 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Bantams, 3 Mottled Cochin Bantams, 3 Golden Laced Cochin Bantams, and 2 Red Cochin Bantams. Three RIR roos were also sent as packing peanuts. I lost one of the Red Cochin babies last night. All others are doing fine...all are active eating and drinking. I like Ideal and have ordered from them several times over the last several years. This is the first baby I lost right after shipping. Overall I've been very happy with their chicks.

LOVE Ideal! nothing but good from them - appreciated their follow up, great chicks - delivered on time -- excellent!

I'm happy with my order from them today. Even though the post office had to track down my chicks & went out of their way to find them. That had nothing to do with ideal though. They gave me 6 RIR roos for packing peanuts in my order of 11. It is hard to talk to an actual person on the phone there though.

I don't mind holding either, so long as it's not on my dime...
smile.png

I have chicks due to hatch on the 24th, they are coming from Ideal. So with what everyone is saying about the pp all being RIR's, would it be safe to guess that that is what I will receive as well?

I'm not stressed over them yet, but I bet by next wed. I will be a nervous wreck.

i love ideal its my favorite place to buy fowl .i also like how when they charged me a small box fee (because all i bought were 7 bantam cochins and 7 ducklings) they gave me 5 barred rocks so im pretty glad about that. IDEAL ROCKS
ya.gif
:weee:ya

Back
Top Bottom