My experiences with Mt. Healthy, McMurray, & Ideal Poultry

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dannypritchett01, Aug 21, 2011.

1. dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I thought I would share some of my experiences with you. Some good, some bad, some strange.

Mcmurray Hatchery:
    Delt with them many times, I love the health of their birds. However out of the many years of buying Ducks and Chickens from them, this year my order of chicks came and a few of them are growing really slowly compared to the others. They are always eating and I thought maybe it was wormed so I ran some wazine in the water. Still not growing or catching up. While all of their playmates are 4 times their size. About 5 years ago I ordered some crested ducks. Only ordered 15, but they were poor crests. They sent a second order. Well that order I was happy, they were huge crests. Then a week later I get a call more ducks came. I didnt know what happened. Called mcmurray and they said our mistake, enjoy. So I raised 45 ducklings, and ended up with 40 at the end. I chose the best for show, sold the rest. Never did get to show any, before I got disgusted with their pretty whites getting dirty from pond water. And of course 2 or 3 years ago I ordered some chicks from them and when they got here, they were all dead. Their was some problem at the hatchery. It was a bacteria or something, cant remember. They fixed the issue, resent another order and they all did great. Other than that I highly recommend them. They cost more, but I am usually happy.

Mt. Healthy:
    Great chicks, my feed store orders from them. This year however I received a cull, a 1 Winged easter egger pullet. But she is sweet and gentle and loves people so I am still happy with her, and wont cull her myself. I was wanting some colored eggs to sell so I am still happy. She just is extra special.

Ideal Poultry:
    Never had a bad experience. Always loved them. Cant beat them...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    I've heard good things about Ideal, but was always nervous about ordering from them. I figured northern Wisconsin is a long way from that company. But...if you have no problems getting chix by mail from them where you live, I certainly shouldn't. So I think I will give ideal a try this next spring.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:I have been looking at them each trying to decide if I want to do a fall chick buy or just go ahead and buy older from breeders. I am going to the SC/NC cickenstock next Saturday.[​IMG] ( very excited) . either way I think I like the fall chicks ( in theory ) better.. I would rather keep chicks warm thru the winter than try to keep them cool an I would have eggs come spring/summer... have you found a time of year, that you have found shipping is better.. does that differ from hatchery to hatchery? [​IMG]

)O(
    Pink

4. dannypritchett01

dannypritchett01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I have always ordered in the spring. I however hatch chicks myself year round. Its just been a family tradition in our family to look through the catalogs in the winter, and order our baby chicks in the spring. I will have chicks for sale next year for anyone local. All of our stock is from McMurray Hatchery this year.

Rhode Island Reds
    Barred Rocks
    Dominiques
    Delawares (Local Purchase)
    Easter Eggers (Mt. Healthy & McMurray)
    Sexlinks (Gold Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Black Sexlink, Red Sexlink)
    White Rocks
    White Leghorns
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    New Hampshire Red

Now how would you price them for males, females, and st. run? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by