My fav "she" is likely a "he"...do I have too many boys now?

Egg Rookie 2010

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
North Idaho
Well one of my 5 week old EE's started crowing a couple of days ago. By far the most attractive one I have. And on careful inspection yesterday it appears she is also growing a comb much much larger than the other 4 EE's. So the problem is...I have 1 Cochin male and one Welssumer male also...and 13 girls. Do you think Ill have trouble with this may males? (well if one is nasty he will get evicted anyway) Should I try to keep them all? Gee..maybe I need a few more girls (LOL-I can fit 4 more with my space) Any thoughts?

I've managed with about that ratio, but my birds were all free range over an acre or so. If they're confined I'm thinking you're going to have to let go of a roo or two, or seperate into multiple flocks. You can always give it a try, but keep a close eye on your girls as the roos mature. Watch for bare backs and neck/heads, bloody combs or hens that spend all their time hiding from the boys.

I dont think you'll have a problem with the males. Usually one will be dominant. I had two Roos and only two girls. Mine did fine. The less dominant roo just stayed out if the way of the "boss".

Back
Top Bottom