My favorite "Hen" Crowed this morning. Is She a He?

Rainbow Sherbet ... crowed 1st time at 5 months

Last edited:

None of these guys go to the same hairdresser. All of them have slightly different shape of feathers on their top hat.

Last edited:
I just had that happen as well. dont know if you have a roo or not. hoping i dont. i just rehomed two roos and two days afterward one of the hens crowed at 3am but dont know which one. all mine had late growing combs and wattles and didnt start getting red till the last month or so at 4 months old so i suspect mine are hens but who knows.-lisa

Yep keep him/her where she is will be fine. One rooster in the flock will not cause too many problems unless he is super randy and you only have a couple of hens. We had one rooster and three hens and except for the month his hormones hit and he first discovered mating (and was dreadfully rough) he settled in to be a great protector and gentle with the girls.

He did however get too protective and started to attack the kids and to a lesser degree me. We started holding him to train him we were in charge with some success but had to rehome due to noise complaints.

My advice though would be to make a real effort to hold and carry him now before he starts getting territorial, make sure he knows you are top chook now, don't wait till he becomes a problem first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom