My favorite hen is sick Please help!*poo pic* (sorry)

Sorry. I don't know how long but I wanted to ask if you've listened to her lungs for any wheezing or rattling? You may have already said but I can't remember. I had a hen that looked like that once - and acted the same - and I took her to the vets and got her some baytril which did the trick. She had repiratory issues. I think you can order baytril through Peter Brown's webiste. Baytril works wonders if it's a bacterial thing. Keeping my fingers crossed for Rosemary. Poor girl!!
sad.png

Thanks everyone for your good wishes!
birdlover, she is breathing ok, no sneezing, wheezing, mucus, and her eyes are bright and clear. I found a vet who will xray her Tuesday, but I really don't think she will make it until then. She won't eat at all and she's not standing up anymore. I don't even have anything I could use to put her down. I'm crying just typing this.
I wonder how long it would take to become a poultry vet?

Meriruka,
I'm so sorry to hear about Princess. I am going through the same thing right now with one of my RI Reds. Her poops sound exactly the same as you described right down to the little squiggly shapes. The other symptoms mine has is shaking her head and she seems to have trouble breathing when she lays down (her body rocks a little). But she seems to breathe ok standing up. I've tried an antibiotic - I originally thought respiratory because of the head shaking, then I tried the Wazine wormer. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning. I'm tired of guessing. I agree 100% about the poultry vet idea. I'd love to become one too. I hope Princess gets better. Please update us. Thanks.

A tiny bit of progress! She ate some Ricechex.(It's better than nothing)

Beware, here comes the poo pic:
P1010018r.jpg

Now my silkies have foamy, runny, yellow/orange poo, so everybody is getting the worming medicine. I could just scream. I spend so much time trying to make everything perfect for my chickens. Grrr.

Anyway, sounds like lots of folks are going through this, first person to figure out what it is, please tell the rest of us....

Best of luck with your bird. If she still eats, that's a good thing. I've had to cull a few birds before, same way as meat bids. Might be wormy bit of season with weather warming up, soil breaking ground, and birds getting to range and eat fresh bugs of the season. The poo looks like she hasn't been eating... which she hasn't. Did you get a fecal done to make sure you have a wormer that works on the kind of worm she has?

Looked into becoming a poultry vet but decided grad school was for me first. To me, vet school was like... get your 4 year degree in some bio background field to meet req's good enough to go to med school, compete with people that are premed book smart and will trample you for that 4.0, then spend 4 years at vet school if you can get in.. then do residency... and come out the other end knowing about flock management if you choose poultry as your specialty... topped off with a huge debt. At least that's what I felt like it would be.

Silkiechicken, I'm going to get the fecal done on Tuesday when the vet will see her.(She only works Tues & Thurs) When she first got sick, worms didn't even occur to me, but when someone suggested that could be the problem, I bought the only thing TSC had (Wazine). It treats the most common worms, so I'm hoping the odds are with me. I know, not the best method, but I'm trying everything to keep her alive until then. She's perked up a bit (could be coincidence)

So I guess becoming a poultry vet is out if it's going to take as much time as you described. I'm a little long in the tooth.....

you can give her baby parrot handfeeding formula...that has kept many a sick bird alive till they felt well enough to eat

I just tuned into this thread. Any further news about the cause?

Does yellow runny poop always mean worms? One of my Australorps is very droopy, won't eat or drink and has the yellow foamy runs.

How in the world do we know when our chickens should get wormed?!

Last spring I spent hundreds (!) of $$$ at the local vet to diagnose and treat ecoli in the respiratory system of one hen. I can't go that route again!

Mostly Molly...Yellow foamy is usually worms...

Even Penny liked the handfeeding formula after I added the applesauce to it...so maybe I got a couple more days with her.

The dark green of Meriruka's bird means that there's no food being digested.

I really hope Princess can hold on...

Hey everyone! Princess is MY sick girl. Rosemary is Mariruka's! Mariruka...Princess has shown no interest in eating either but I have found a few things she'll eat if it will help Rosemary. She will eat pieces of grape, LOTS of dandelion greens (torn in small pieces) and MEAL WORMS!!! Bought some today at the local pet shop and she LOVES them!! But the vet (who I spoke with this evening) said not to feed too many as the hard shell can cause constipation. She seems more interested in food if I put it in her water dish and it floats on top. Just a suggestion; I'm sure you're willing to try ANYthing as am I! I have an appointment tomorrow to have her tube fed which will fill her crop. Maybe, if Rosemary makes it 'til Tues., you can have the same thing done. I've tried giving Princess baby parrot formula but it is a real REAL hassle getting it down her with a syringe. (spoon doesn't work) If you can get some in her, it might get her through until Tuesday but be careful not to aspirate her!! That's my biggest worry! Still praying for Rosemary!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom