My feed and grit woes.....

I cannot get that brand here, well i have seen it in pot bellied pig food but for some reason they don't bring the poultry line of feeds in lol What does the tag say? i would check on it or contact their CS.

I got chick grit at my TSC, i am surprised yours wouldn't have it.

Last edited:
I cannot get that brand here, well i have seen it in pot bellied pig food but for some reason they don't bring the poultry line of feeds in lol What does the tag say? i would check on it or contact their CS.

I got chick grit at my TSC, i am surprised yours wouldn't have it.
I was so surprised too! I mean they sell chicks so you'd think..... and then for the employees so act like I was daft LOL. It was an experience to say the least. They carry Mazuri here for pigs and rabbits and horses but no waterfowl feed. I am going to check online on their site again because it's looks like we will be geese parents soon! I did find a store that carries the chick grit ( the same place that sold me the layer feed!) so I will be running over there later to get that squared away. It's amazing how you can stress over the ducklings, I swear I was no less vigilant with my kids when they were newborns!

I was so surprised too! I mean they sell chicks so you'd think..... and then for the employees so act like I was daft LOL. It was an experience to say the least. They carry Mazuri here for pigs and rabbits and horses but no waterfowl feed. I am going to check online on their site again because it's looks like we will be geese parents soon! I did find a store that carries the chick grit ( the same place that sold me the layer feed!) so I will be running over there later to get that squared away. It's amazing how you can stress over the ducklings, I swear I was no less vigilant with my kids when they were newborns!

So silly isn't it? lacks logic. oh, geese how fun! those i don't have. Glad you found the chick grit. Yes, you do fuss over them, my kids and husband swear the poultry get treated better than they do!
lau.gif

Last edited:
You can feed ducklings chick starter as long as you supplement niacin. If you buy sand for grit then make sure it is washed builders sand that has some bigger particles in it, playground sand will be too fine. If you use rolled oats, like Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, run them through a food processor to chop them up a little to make them easier for little ducklings to eat. Only actually laying birds should eat layer feed. Good luck with your little ones!

I'm not trying to be a smartbutt but why can't you return the 50 lb. bag of feed? I don't see why there would be a problem unless its been opened.

If you can find Perina Flock Raiser crumbles they can eat that their whole lives. It's what I'm using.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems. :( I've learned that you have to do your own research and get what you need because a lot of people who work at feed or hardware stores have no clue about the things they sell. Where are you located? If you go to the Orcheln's website you can search for stores near you and see exactly how many of what they have in stock at that particular store. (Good way to check before you make the trip there). You could also search for TSC near you. Maybe a different location will have more variety and knowledgable people.

Go out into your yard (un-chemically treated) and take a spoon full of dirt. Fill a dish up with some dirt, acorns, rocks, and all... Put water in it and make it muddy. This is excellent grit!

Go out into your yard (un-chemically treated) and take a spoon full of dirt. Fill a dish up with some dirt, acorns, rocks, and all... Put water in it and make it muddy. This is excellent grit!

Amiga recommended this as well and I'm gonna try it after dinner. Thanks a lot!

I'm not trying to be a smartbutt but why can't you return the 50 lb. bag of feed? I don't see why there would be a problem unless its been opened.

If you can find Perina Flock Raiser crumbles they can eat that their whole lives. It's what I'm using.

I'm sorry you're having so many problems.
sad.png
I've learned that you have to do your own research and get what you need because a lot of people who work at feed or hardware stores have no clue about the things they sell. Where are you located? If you go to the Orcheln's website you can search for stores near you and see exactly how many of what they have in stock at that particular store. (Good way to check before you make the trip there). You could also search for TSC near you. Maybe a different location will have more variety and knowledgable people.
Actually they did have flock raiser I think, I was gonna ask you guys about that next! I can't return the layer feed cause the store has a no return policy. I did check for other TSC's but the closest one isn't very close lol. I'm gonna google Orcheln's right now and see if they are around. Thanks for the help.

RubberDuckee you are very kind. My inner nervous worrywart wants to pass along that if the acorns in your area are not very small, you might want to leave those out of the recipe for fun mud. Just worried about choking hazards. I suppose this tendency of mine has helped avoid some problems, but it may be annoying to others. Thanks for bearing with me.
hide.gif

Not at all! Your advice is always, ALWAYS welcome! I am used to my girls, who are smaller ducks, swallowing them or cracking them open and eating the insides while on our walks together. So, this is good advice for all. After all. acorns in TN may be different than acorns in other places...

Back
Top Bottom