My female Emu is trying to get jiggy with everyone, why?

sandrabare

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
Hi, I have two Emus, Wally and Willow. Wally is 20 months and Willow is 23 months old. Willow does not want Wally around at all and spits and hisses at him when he gets close. When she sees me or any other human she will come up behind us and squat like she is trying to mate with us. Did they accidently give us 2 males instead? Does the female really act like this normally? Wally I think is too young to be interested but we hope with time they will.

Any input you can will be helpful.

I know nothing about emus, but is it possible that she is imprinted on you ? Did you get them both at the same time ?

Hi Sandrabare, it sounds like the female has bonded to you more than the male. This is not hard to do, but it will make for difficult breeding in the future. Although the male is still young. Loved your pic by the way, if that's the female, then she really has bonded to you. I am not sure if there is a way to "unbond" her from you, anyone have any suggestions?

Were your emus vent sexed? Or did you get to see their chick feathers at all? You can listen to your mus to determine sex and make sure you have a viable couple. Females can make a variety of grunting and drumming sounds, and males can't. I've never heard of a female chasing a male away, they're usually fine with whoever since they don't do anything past laying eggs anyhow. Her chasing might not be chasing at all though females are very rough on males, she's the chooser and will definitely let him know. She still should eventually let him mate if he's the only option. I just hope she never sees you as a rival, that's bad. You probably won't find your answer until the spring mating season shows you for sure. :)

Last edited:
'Females can make a variety of grunting and drumming sounds, and males can't.'

Hey, Chickassan. Well . . . no. Females mostly drum -- using their vocal sac, which only they have.

But males only grunt. [As well other sounds emus of all ages make.]

I am very lucky in respect of understanding this because I get to listen to wild birds all the time. When a breeding-pair is getting around, it's so easy for one to get a hang on the different calls because you can sit in the garden, and watch/listen to them talk to and fro.

Please meet Felicity the Emu and her potential consort, 'Groestl.' Groestl is a remarkably shy and vocal fellow. It has taken him weeks to get as close as this. The photo was taken from the bench in my garden. He would run to and fro, at a distance, while Felicity was scoffing up his wheat.
20171230_185428.jpg

Awesome, but you get what i was conveying there, definitely different vocalizations between the sexes and easy to distinguish. ;) Beautiful birds btw.
'Females can make a variety of grunting and drumming sounds, and males can't.'

Hey, Chickassan. Well . . . no. Females mostly drum -- using their vocal sac, which only they have.

But males only grunt. [As well other sounds emus of all ages make.]

I am very lucky in respect of understanding this because I get to listen to wild birds all the time. When a breeding-pair is getting around, it's so easy for one to get a hang on the different calls because you can sit in the garden, and watch/listen to them talk to and fro.

Please meet Felicity the Emu and her potential consort, 'Groestl.' Groestl is a remarkably shy and vocal fellow. It has taken him weeks to get as close as this. The photo was taken from the bench in my garden. He would run to and fro, at a distance, while Felicity was scoffing up his wheat.View attachment 1227286

same issue here. female way horny and chasing male. he just wants to be left alone for 5 minutes. its a trend with humans too these days.
she is drumming all day and night for 2 months now and presenting her smelly end to anything that moves.

Back
Top Bottom