My first 15 are coming soon! Some Qs...

Also...
We failed at TSC
Needed to get food and some grit in preparation for the Mighty 15's arrival next week, aaaaannd....
We came out of the store with 5 unplanned babies in a box! LOL

We got 2 RIR, 2 Black sex links, and one Golden Comet. Hopefully they'll all get along once the PLANNED babies arrive.

Anyway! We quickly set up the Mama Heating Pad and food and water for them, and they all ate (didn't see them drink) and then started trying to duck under each other, so I tucked them under the heating pad and they all chirped happily and then went to sleep <3

So I still can't wait for the Monday Babies but sooo glad these girls are here!

Who else has failed at TSC
I failed in the opposite order at the local feedstore! We planned for 15 birds but chicken math happened and we ended up with 18. Went to the local store solely for chick food, and walked out with 3 more chicks (they had Gold Laced Wyandottes which we'd originally tried to get but they didn't come in when they were supposed to so we settled with others so we had to get 2. Naturally I also found an Easter Egger I took a liking to (right now it's feathering in pure white so we'll see if it stays that way or not). My Black Sex link was an accident (thought I got a Barred Rock, only to realize it absolutely was not)- but she's been the first one that will let me pet her and hopefully yours will be just as friendly!

I'm sure they'll get along, my modge podge has varying ages and breeds and everyone is doing fine, though the eldest chick is by far larger and is the boss of everyone else (for now).

I failed in the opposite order at the local feedstore! We planned for 15 birds but chicken math happened and we ended up with 18. Went to the local store solely for chick food, and walked out with 3 more chicks (they had Gold Laced Wyandottes which we'd originally tried to get but they didn't come in when they were supposed to so we settled with others so we had to get 2. Naturally I also found an Easter Egger I took a liking to (right now it's feathering in pure white so we'll see if it stays that way or not). My Black Sex link was an accident (thought I got a Barred Rock, only to realize it absolutely was not)- but she's been the first one that will let me pet her and hopefully yours will be just as friendly!

I'm sure they'll get along, my modge podge has varying ages and breeds and everyone is doing fine, though the eldest chick is by far larger and is the boss of everyone else (for now).

I honestly never thought chicken math would happen to us THAT quickly lol

We're getting 2 GL Wyandotte and 3 EEs in our order! They look so cute.
I can't wait to see what they all look like in real life.

In my order I really wanted SS, I didn't get them, but when I went to North 40 I got...these chicks that Meyers didn't offer...NN
03.PNG

Spizenhauben
03a.PNG

and an EE which were not available when i ordered from Meyer's but they sent me one in the MMM or the rare, not sure, but I needed an extra EE since i have so many brown eggers.

The North 40 were also out of SS.

Attachments

• 03b.PNG
    03b.PNG
    831.5 KB · Views: 2
Just some comments i thought of! Congrats!! New chickens!

Commercial broiler operations start their chickens on nipple waterers. Clever touch. They put paper under the water spigots. It crinkles when a chick steps on it and gets everybody excited about what's going on so they get water too.

I have 2 slw and 3glw and i am very taken by them. They are indescribably amusing to me and let themselves be picked up and cuddled, too. Weird, i know.

I'm going to put up a vertical nipple waterer for them in a few days - I'm sure it'll stay much cleaner than the regular one we have set up now.

We've picked up the babies a couple of times - one of them shivers every time we do - not sure if that's fear or she just gets chilled coming out of the brooder into the more drafty area of the barn...

I really wish I could easily access them from a side opening, though. They get scared of hands reaching in from the top (look like a hawk?). I've been putting my hand down low far away from them and then inching closer at their level, that seems to be helping...

A friend was moving and brought by her coop in pieces, and I built the nest box, I still need to paint, fill in gap by nest box, and put up the pop door and I am done...
25b.PNG

She also brought by a little dog house, I put on the door, and put chicks in side.
25a.PNG
25.PNG

Back
Top Bottom