my first attempt at blown eggs! with a question...

imaturtlefan

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
I cant believe that I didnt break a single one...I think Im in shock! I was inspired by Miss Prissy's gorgeous blue and brown Christmas ornaments, I came across in a link. Anyway, so Ive got these beatiful brown and blue eggs blown, now, I need to get them cleaned up. I get blue, brown and creme from my chickies, should make very complementary eggs
smile.png

I have read a mixture of bleach and water (will this harm the egg color in anyway?) I have read vinegar (will the eggs ever stop smelling like it?) and I have read that someone just uses the microwave to heat them... I personally like the microwave idea. Oh I have also seen that some just clean them up and let them dry naturally.

I am curious, has anyone had any unfortunate incidents with any of these methods? Are there any I should definitely avoid? I would love to make some really pretty ones, but would be so dissappointed if they began to stink or something eventually.

Thanks in advance for any input!

If you heat them in the microwave or oven, make sure you wash out all the egg inside first. I did this, and the oven cooked on little bits of egg on the inside, which showed through the white shells of the duck eggs when they were done. I bleached my white eggs to get them whiter, as well, but not sure I would try bleaching brown or blue ones??

I have never blown eggs(but I'd like to try someday), but I can tell you that the vinegar smell should go away once it dries. I use it to clean and the smell does go away once dry.

No, I dont think so. I didn't do anything special to remove the membrane. Just blow them out, and then wash them by letting water run through the holes (and maybe shaking some water around inside of them) then heat them. I put mine on a cookie sheet and popped them in a 250 oven for about 15 minutes.....

thanks guys...I think Im going to try the oven first... (vinegar would require a trip to the store) so...here goes nothin'

I just let mine set a few days and they dry perfectly. I dropped one once months after I had blown it and the inside was pristine white! I do use a 35cc syringe with an 18g needle to blow the egg out, then I use the same syringe to flush the blown shell out thoroughly with water until the water coming out of the egg is clear.

I just put a little bleach in the water and rinse them out good and put them on a towl to dry.

24884_dsc04839.jpg

Back
Top Bottom