My first backyard chicken, a buff orp, and question about pine shavings

Newdaywaves

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hi all! Looking forward to being a part of this community. I just got a backyard chicken, a buff orpington. I'll be getting two more soon so that it's not lonely.

I had a quick question: are pine shavings sold at hardware stores bad for chickens? I'm looking for a substrate that I can use for the chicken coop floor and I heard pine might not be the best. I'm using wood chips now, but would be helpful to know which kind of wood chips are bad (like cedar) and which ones are okay. Thanks!

images

Welcome to BYC!

As long as they are pine shavings and not cedar, and they are not treated with anything, they are fine. Most feed stores sell pine shavings and even some walmarts carry them. Pet stores carry pine shavings too. If you live near a lumber yard, many times they also carry them. Chips are not very absorbant and make more of a mess than you need.

Enjoy your new poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, pine shavings are fine, you don't want to use cedar shavings, and if you get leftovers from a lumber yard you probably want to avoid anything with black walnut or oak.

Welcome to BYC. Pine shavings are excellent to use as poultry litter, but they are not all created equally. Some as no better than sawdust if you buy the fine, so look for the larger flakes. For small coops, Sweet PDZ which is non-toxic can be used. It is very fine like scoopable kitty litter, and can be scooped out fairly easily, plus it keeps things dry. It is better on flooring than on a dirt floor. Sand can also be used, but is very cold in places with severe cold winters.

eggcessive x2. our farm and home had good flaked litter which worked great, and now I noticed it being sold more like sawdust as if the saw blades were getting dull. I'm thinking of going to horse litter if it only has pine in it. I'll have to check it out first but it has bigger flakes than the (almost sawdust) type.

Back
Top Bottom