My First Batch of Babies - Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tdgill, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Babies are due on wednesday...such a good broody mamma. Any tips you want to share? I am sooo excited but nervous.

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] congrats I [​IMG] broodies. My advice? Just keep an eye on things just in case, but let nature take it's course, it is a wonderful experience! And I don't know if you were planning on it, but I would isolate her like Tuesday so she has "privacy" when the big event happens. [​IMG]

3. tdgill

thanks! I am soooo excited!

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    shallow drinkers, good isolated shelter like a rabbit hutch, make sure hen/ housing is mites free.

5. tdgill

been working on that project as we speak....wish i had it started done long ago. any special concerns with dusted hen and chicks? i finally found some DE a few weeks ago and have had that in the hens dust bath, but also have wanted to dust her with prozap but was concerned about eggs/chicks

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My broody hatched three and I was all concerned - I make sure the water is fresh and clean and they have food and Momma Dot does the rest! She really doesn't need my help at all. I do have them separate from the flock and a couple of times she has integrated them all herself. She got out with the chicks a couple of times. They hatched May 10th. It was the easiest way to raise the babies and a lot of fun! Enjoy!
    Caroline

7. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    We have 8 eggs under 2 broodies that are due to hatch tuesday or wendesday also!! [​IMG]

Also getting our first batch of meaties (25) on wednesday or thursday. We've put the broodies into a brooder this last weekend and they seem calm and happy. Hopefully they're ready to have 30+ babies!!

8. tdgill

I hear peeping! but don't see any cracks yet. Once in a bit i get a glimpse of what is under her...

9. tdgill

We have at least three new babies so far!! They are black like their daddy :) Gonna be interesting to see what these little ones end up looking like! Gonna have some olive eggers in this bunch hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by