My first batch of chicks. I lost one.

BanaB

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
Cambridge, NY
😪

I didn't think I would feel so bad! My 16 chicks arrived 2weeks, 2 days ago. They all seemed to be doing fine, until a week ago I noticed one had pasty butt. I was away overnight (home birth midwife). My grandson checked in on them while I was away and they seemed fine. When I finally noticed her pasty butt, I suspect it had progressed too far. There was quite a bit of hard stool on her tiny butt. I also saw that she was much smaller than the other chicks, which I hadn't noticed before.
I couldn't decide if I needed to separate her and put her in a special nursery. Everything I read said I needed to be concerned if she wasn't eating and drinking, and isolating. She was eating and drinking and walking around with the other chicks, but her tail was going up and down and her breathing seemed a bit labored.
She never seemed to get any bigger, even though she was eating and drinking. I kept thinking I'd find her dead in the morning, but she lasted a week.

I found her this morning. I was so sad, even though I knew she might die.

I'm wondering if there was anything else I could have done?

They seem to have plenty of space. I feed them organic chicken starter. I had them vaccinated for coccidiosis and I their water has bits and electrolytes in it. (I'm wondering if all of this is necessary?) I did give them a treat after the first week (small bits of watermelon), and I put grit in their food, but then I read that it was too early for treats so I haven't given them any more. I scrub and change their waterers and feeders every morning. They're staying in a dog crate-brooder. I have newspaper in the bottom covered with a thick layer of wood chips covered with paper towels. I change the paper towels every morning. I've taken them outside in the grass a couple of times. I let them come outside of the brooder onto a tarp I have covering my lap. They're getting more curious and are exploring more. They seem to be warm enough. Temp in the brooder is 80-ish. I keep moving the lamp further away. They're not huddled together or staying under the heat lamp. They're growing, getting feathers, and trying to fly!

I know loss is normal with new chicks but am wondering if there is anything thing else I could have done. I probably should have separated the little one. She might have survived. I'm attaching a photo of her. You can see how tiny she is next to the other chicks.

I realize after looking at photos that they're getting a lot bigger. I think they probably need more space now. I'm going to move half to another brooder.

IMG_20200805_205259.jpg
. You can see how tiny she is next to the other chick.

It's the tough truth that being a pet owner/chicken tender means dealing with death. Whether that means finding a dead chick in the brooder with no apparent cause to having to cull a bird to put them out of their misery due to injury.

Most deaths can be treated as a learning opportunity. We recently lost our head hen to sour crop because we had never encountered it, misdiagnosed it and then over treated it. We know better now and are aware of the issue and that info will help us better treat future birds. A tough lesson to learn, but useful.

Sometimes chickens just die, and we'll never know why and do exactly what you're doing thinking you could have/should have done more. I'm sorry you lost a chick and that you're second guessing yourself, but now you're better setup emotionally to raise the rest to the best of your ability for a happy, healthy flock.

It's the tough truth that being a pet owner/chicken tender means dealing with death. Whether that means finding a dead chick in the brooder with no apparent cause to having to cull a bird to put them out of their misery due to injury.

Most deaths can be treated as a learning opportunity. We recently lost our head hen to sour crop because we had never encountered it, misdiagnosed it and then over treated it. We know better now and are aware of the issue and that info will help us better treat future birds. A tough lesson to learn, but useful.

Sometimes chickens just die, and we'll never know why and do exactly what you're doing thinking you could have/should have done more. I'm sorry you lost a chick and that you're second guessing yourself, but now you're better setup emotionally to raise the rest to the best of your ability for a happy, healthy flock.

Thank you! Now I know what sour crop is! So much more to learn than I realized when I started off on this adventure. I'm sorry you lost your head hen. That must have been really sad. I think I know which chick might become head hen and I'm really attached to her already! I've recently realized that I need to organize a chicken first aid kit...something I didn't think of before I got them.

First time having chicks when gilbert ( my first chick ) i noticed syraight away pasty bum i looked up what to do so i did it. If ever happens again slowly take away what u can with tissue dont pull it then rub some cookin oil on towel wipe around its bum so far 3 weeks later his had no problems and pooing well. Sorry you lost one xxx

I lose a few chicks in several hatches, as others have said its not unusual. They normally just get weak and then die in a day or two. Developing 100% correctly in an egg is a difficult job for a chick.

First time having chicks when gilbert ( my first chick ) i noticed syraight away pasty bum i looked up what to do so i did it. If ever happens again slowly take away what u can with tissue dont pull it then rub some cookin oil on towel wipe around its bum so far 3 weeks later his had no problems and pooing well. Sorry you lost one xxx
Thank you! I rinsed it off with warm water...I think I got to it too late. I'll watch more closely next time. I spend as much time with them as I can so I can learn about them and they can get comfortable with me..

I lose a few chicks in several hatches, as others have said its not unusual. They normally just get weak and then die in a day or two. Developing 100% correctly in an egg is a difficult job for a chick.
It sure sounds like it! I think I read someplace that the average loss in a batch is 8%. My granddaughter and I calculated that it should be 1.2 chicks from our batch. I'm glad I haven't lost any more.

Back
Top Bottom